Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
It's been a while since I posted here I have neglected the old yak lately, but recently picked up a malibu stealth 9 for a bargain price and am just starting the pimping process.
As this yak is setup with a mount for lowrance transducers I purchased an elite4x an began what apparently was meant to be a simple and fool proof install.
So for anyone who is not familiar with the yak they have a depression on the base of the hull with two brass screw inserts where the transducer can be mounted on its bracket. But here is where things went wrong, I setup the transducer on its bracket and using the provided screws began to secure it to the kayak, couple of turns of the screwdriver finds the screw stuck in the brass inserts which now spins freely when I try to take out the offending screw!
So now I am left with a brand new kayak with a brand new transducer barely hanging on beneath it and I can't figure out how to remove the stuck screw without damaging my new toy!
As a last resort may try and cut the head of the screw and just use a nut to hold it in place.
Does anyone have a more sensible solution to my dilemma?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been too long Matt, all this riding in stink boats has made me fat and a bit lazy!
The problem with this yak there is no where you can access inside the hull at the rear where said bracket mounting is located.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue with the supplied screws not fitting the brass inserts. Luckily mine weren't too far gone before I realised they don't fit. The inserts have a really tight thread and had to rifle though the spares in the shed to get bolts that fit.

Could you try and lever out the screw and fitting, remove the screw and then epoxy the fitting back in place? Not sure if that would damage the surrounding plastic, but it seems to be pretty free :? That would be my last resort. Sorry I can't think of anything less destructive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.