Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys went out again today with a mate for a fish ...hit Stockton up under the bridge around the oyster racks and up near the white silos had no luck there and with the wind picking up we decided to head up and give Carrington a go no more then 100m after launching started getting good hits every few seconds while trolling some plastics. my mate landed his flatty first then it was my turn .siting there casting into the shadows I see a little tailor jumping out of the water and a big flash right under it then about 10 seconds later about a meter from my kayak I see the little tailor swimming flat out and jumping around and a fish easy over 50 cm right behind it ...after about 10 casts with no luck I looked down to see the little tailor swimming against my kayak its tail all chewed up and its eye all messed up, he ended up jumping onto one of my big hooks and went back out to where id seen the big fish about 30 seconds later my little 2500 shimano elf started to scream and the fire raider buckled I fought it for about 15 seconds and then went loose wound it in to find half a tailor with a clean bite straight thru it ...threw the remaining half out had a few bites and lost the bait so headed home cant wait to head back and have another go

Attachments

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Interesting trip report. Any suspicions as to what the big predator fish might have been? Obviously it had sharp teeth.

Also interesting to see you using a worm on the flathead. I'd always thought they were too big to fish with until someone gave me a few packets. They work well don't they! If you watch fish feeding in an aquarium or on tv you'll understand how a bait being long doesn't mean they'll miss the hook, they often try to suck to whole piece in whole.

Looking forward to seeing more of your reports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate ...Im pretty sure it was a big tailor ,it was just moving to quick to be 100%,yea the worms are really impressive mymate bought a pack and tthey were getting hit after hit when my squidgies and gulp were being ignored so we went halves in a 2 kg bag of mixed plastic worms and yabbies lol cheap on eBay but work a treat and don't mind they get chomped by little tailor ...

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I know bugger all about tailor but have caught a few tiny ones on the Gold Coast and seen their razor sharp teeth, they would have been my guess as an armchair expert ;-).

I've seen a couple of 80cm plus units caught in the canals so there are big ones out there to be caught, good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.