Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Looks Good

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  evarn 
#1 ·
Gday Boys.
Well ive been a bit quiet lately but i thought i would share news on something that will be well worth the wait :D

Now while i have no pics to share, forgot the cam , picture a longer cockpit area to suit taller paddlers, deeper seat well, flat areas behind the seat for rod holder mounting, possiblity of a console arrangement to mount a sounder and small tackle box . revised top deck and hatch arangements although it is similar it's hard to pic the difference unless told. Although the redesign does upgrade the wieght capacity.
Same hull design, remember it was faster than the Prowler15 !!!!

The best bit is it's an Aussie made yak designed to accomodate the fisho for under well below what we have seen lately from Aussie yak makers, well, well below.

Also i asked about the support regarding pin holes etc and was told , any yaks would get replaced no questions asked if the yak was found to be in any way faulty.

Time frame?
2-3 months for the first to be cooked and out there.

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Hey Peter :)

Thanks for the update mate......is this re: the new model coming up from Wavedance?

Wavedance Kingfisher......

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing some pictures of the revised design when they are available.

#4 ·
Occy thats with rudder, take the rudder off and you have to base price. Hmm whats a rudder worth, 200 or so???
And if i were you mate i would definately wait , you "will" get more for your dollar.

On looking at the plug it would be great if "someone "was to get hold of it afterwards and do a glass model, where's the phone :wink:
Imagine an Aussie made glass yak to rival the Dorado at half the cost. :D :D :shock:

G
#7 ·
Dilema :?

I've been thinking more and more about an upgrade on one of my yaks so I have a rig which will be more suited to some offshore work, and I'm thinking I might take the plunge in the next couple of months.

I'm not sure I can make up my mind!!

The two front runners at this stage would be the new OK Prowler Elite 4.5, and the new Kingfisher mentioned here.

The main advantage the Prowler Elite has is the moulded nut inserts. This would make fitting an electric motor a simple affair, and in conjunction with a rudder might mean my wife has a better chance of getting out onto the water with me.

On the other hand I'm big on supporting the local boys and want to give an Australian company my business.

Might have to review the spy photos of the Kingfisher and see if I can come up with an ingenius method of fitting a workable electric motor solution.

#8 ·
Sorry Peter, that doesn't answer the questions. I haven't seen it or the double and there are no pics on their website. Also no indication of how it handles swell and chop.

The reason I'm asking is that the Cobra Pro Fisherman, which has a hull similar to the Calypso, was roundly criticised for being a bit slow and for significant hull-slap when it was introduced in the US, where it failed as a product. I suspect the market there is skewed towards inshore fishing.

Is the Kingfisher going to be good in the rough stuff or is it best suited to the quieter waters? I don't expect it to be able to handle everything well (would that such a craft existed), but want to know what is its positioning. Would be good to get some feedback from the testers.

G
#9 ·
Peril said:
Sorry Peter, that doesn't answer the questions. I haven't seen it or the double and there are no pics on their website. Also no indication of how it handles swell and chop.

The reason I'm asking is that the Cobra Pro Fisherman, which has a hull similar to the Calypso, was roundly criticised for being a bit slow and for significant hull-slap when it was introduced in the US, where it failed as a product. I suspect the market there is skewed towards inshore fishing.

Is the Kingfisher going to be good in the rough stuff or is it best suited to the quieter waters? I don't expect it to be able to handle everything well (would that such a craft existed), but want to know what is its positioning. Would be good to get some feedback from the testers.
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=445&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

#12 ·
I am looking very interested in this yak aswell and i was wondering how does is compare to the prowler 15??? I was 100% sure i was going to get a prowler 15 a few minutes ago but now i am starting to think different. And it's only $1200 with a rudder which is a real bonus, cause that means more money for lures, rods, reels etc etc.

Cheers Brady

#13 ·
Looking at the pictures it appears that it has a deep cockpit compared to the Prowler. While this will add to stability, it will make sitting side saddle or straddling the hull with your legs in the water uncomfortable. This is something that I do a lot as it means I don't get a sore arse from sitting in the one position for three hours or so. By moving around on my yak and sitting in different positions I can comfortably spend 7 or 8 hours in my Prowler without having to come ashore and stretch my legs.

A P15 has more stability than you need given that i sit side saddle with both my legs over the one side and drift sideways to the swell, is this deeper seating position necessary and is it worth giving up comfort while trying to sit side saddle to have more stability than you will ever use?

Catch ya Scott

#17 ·
I fish side saddle all the time off the espri. I mentioned that the seat was low for side saddle fishing but i actually sit on the centre hatch area so it raises the possie anyway.
They did say it was faster and tracked better than the P15 but only the pudding will tell cos thats where the proof is eh. :lol:

What do you guys think of a square hatch like the cobras, malibu's etc .

#18 ·
yaker said:
BJT, swinging your legs over the side can make it much easier to reach back for things in your tankwell or rear hatch. Some of us also find it easier to sidle up to the front hatch than stradling the kayak with a leg either side.
You have the benefits of youth on your side, but once you get older, being able to change your sitting position allows you to spend longer in the kayak before having to get out and stretch your legs.
Agree with all of that Tony, and also side saddle is so comfortable on a hot day.

Espri is OK, but don't use the Swing front hatch on the water as it was like being drawn and quartered with spread legs, but will try the side saddle approach next time out on the water

Peter J square hatch is good idea

#19 ·
The only other advantage I can add about sitting side saddle or straddling which the guys haven't already mentioned is that by straddling with your feet over opposite sides you can add drag if a fish is towing you and I also do it when hooked up fishing heavier tackle or I am snagged and need to bust off as having a leg over both sides increases your stability dramatically and works on the same principle as stabiliser bars on a trawler.

The other thing is that a low profile yak isn't affected by the wind as much due to its low profile.

Catch ya Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.