Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rum or any hard liquor poured on a fishes gills ,instantly (I mean instant!) put the fish into a coma - no blood,no kicking. It is an old cruising sailor trick when pulling fish into a yacht. to save blood spurting all over the place and people jumping out of the way, - doesn't affect the flavour, cheap gin is more common. :D

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Nice yak, not sure if you are taking me for a ride, re the rum but hay, guess there is no harm in an early marinade treatment :lol:
So where are you actually from, does not show in your profile, bring on the international fish and countryside photo's and trip reports.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
KimF said:
Rum or any hard liquor poured on a fishes gills ,instantly (I mean instant!) put the fish into a coma - no blood,no kicking. It is an old cruising sailor trick when pulling fish into a yacht. to save blood spurting all over the place and people jumping out of the way, - doesn't affect the flavour, cheap gin is more common. :D
Dont blame them, if i found a quicker way to get alcohol into my bloodstream, i'd be in a coma too. :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I tried rum a few times when I was sailing, but didnt find it that effective. Maybe the fish were waiting for me to bring out the good stuff instead of the cheap booze I saved for them. Remember buying a dozen bottles of very good rum in the Dominican Republic for three dollars US a bottle! Some old salts even kept one of their boats water tanks specifically for rum, you could never have enough, especially if the fishing was good! Cheers, Dave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts