Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Forecast today in the glorious wide bay was for 25 knot se winds. So the decision was made to head inland and fish the upper reaches of the Kolan. Having caught two good fish a few weeks earlier and hearing consistent reports of good fish I was quietly confident. With the wife's revo loaded on the cruiser I headed off to gin gin. Gentlemen's hours 9 am start.

When I fished this spot 4 weeks ago or more there was a good 50cm of water over the heavy vehicle bypass section. Today it was about 50cm from the river bed. A drop of around 8feet.

There were three anglers lined up on the weir casting into the abyss. Stopped and chatted for a bit then launched and headed up stream. Casting into suspect looking structure. After 30 minutes flicking a halco laser pro, I switched to a zman 7inch grub. Within thirty minutes I had a good bump, then a follow. Moving onto more likely structure I cast again this time more positively hooked the fish fought pulled some drag then decided to jump for freedom. Spat the hook and Lost him. Headed further upstream to the next pool and managed another good bump and follow. But no hook up. :?

Decided to head back downstream to where I'd had hits before. Changed to a smaller squidgy slick rig. Qantas colour. Cast into a nice bit of structure, a few failed casts then bang I'm on. This time, a positive hook set. A spirited fight for a nice 65 ish cm Barra. No metrey but a legal fish none the less. Lip gripped photographed and released. Woohoo. :D Success.

Decided to call it a day and headed back.

I will be back there for sure. Definitely a world class barra haunt and not a stink boat in sight :lol:

Cheers

Andrew.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Lack of stinkers sounds good Andrew. I'm wondering if the Kolan R is the furtherest south the wild barra can be caught? Any idea?

Any photos?

·
Registered
943 Posts
kayakone said:
Lack of stinkers sounds good Andrew. I'm wondering if the Kolan R is the furtherest south the wild barra can be caught? Any idea?

Any photos?
Noosa River has a healthy population now and some guys target them c&r and get good results on a very regular basis. Tin Can Bay in the boat harbour has plenty of barras as well that are easily targeted for good results.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These fish are stocked fish that have gone over the Monduran dam wall. Some bigger fish in there from some reports. Definitely worth a look.

Cheers. Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.