Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't believe the hype. There are plenty of good knives out there, without busting the bank.

I use Mundials, have for 15 years. I get them professionally sharpened about every 6 months for the princely sum of $3 per knife, and they are dangerously sharp (literally shaving sharp, my wife won't use them). Nice weight, good steel, I put them in the dishwasher (against all advice), love them. About $180 for a block full (Chrissy specials will be about this price), the scissors are nice too.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Dave, who does the pro sharpening for you?

G

·
Start here... http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pu ... x?_view=80 I have Furi's and love them but used to have Mundials and they were great knives too. Furi feels nicer in my mind. No other reason.

Then invest in one of these... http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pu ... ystem.aspx the best thing i've found for keeping a consistent edge on a kitchen knife without any skill required. Looks gimicky but actually works brilliantly. My wife will even use it. You won't need to have them professionally sharpened again.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
We have a Wusthof for about 20 years. Mrs broke it cutting a pumpkin (using it as a lever side ways :twisted: ) and they replaced it with a new one. Don't know how they compare with the others, but a life time guaranty is good.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marty75 said:
Dave, who does the pro sharpening for you?
My work has a commercial kitchen, and every 6 months the knife sharpener comes. He trades under the name "keen edge" and it's an appropriate moniker. Suspiciously, he's missing several fingers (really).

nezevic said:
Then invest in one of these... http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pu ... ystem.aspx the best thing i've found for keeping a consistent edge on a kitchen knife without any skill required. Looks gimicky but actually works brilliantly. My wife will even use it. You won't need to have them professionally sharpened again.
I have one of these, and it's a good thing. I use it to keep my knives sharp between sharpenings, works well on my fillet knives as well. There's no question however, that the edge the pro guy gets (using a flap sander on the back of his ute) is WAY sharper. Really bloody sharp. Cut your finger off & wonder where all the blood is coming from sharp.

Furis are nice knives, but a bit light for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
steve i know very little about them but used a set of these at someones place and they were sharp as buggery.

cost about 20 bucks

they are ceramic , not steel,

interested in any pro's comments

for the price, probably a gimmick

Attachments

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
patwah said:
I have Mundials and a new ceramic set, I must say the ceramic is way way cool.

But I'll us the Mundials for the big big stuff, human bodies and the like.

ceramic is very cool though
do they break easy paddy.

also who sharpens your machete. $300 fine for carrying a machete in a qld national park.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I use a santoku for just about everything in the kitchen. Had a mundial for about 3 years then snapped it off at the handle while hammering it through a snapper backbone making cutlets. Scored a Wusthof santoku for about $70 on ebay and have been really happy with it, and enjoy using it more than the mundial, it's a bit lighter and holds a better edge IMO. I reckon one quality 'all rounder' knife will do most jobs (either a santoku or traditional chef's knife), I know quite a few people who have 7 piece sets of Mundial/Wusthof/Global/Henckels etc and only use one or two of them.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Squidder said:
I know quite a few people who have 7 piece sets of Mundial/Wusthof/Global/Henckels etc and only use one or two of them.
This is true. I use the chef's knife mostly (actually I have 2), but also get a lot of use out of the 2 smaller knives. The bread knife is a beauty, hardly use the carving knife (too light), never use the fork, I don't touch the steel (in the wrong hands it'll do more harm than good), I use the scissors for all sorts of things (including the occasional recommended usage). I figure I get my money's worth from the block, but I like knives (insert evil laugh emoticon). To buy the 4 knives and scissors I regularly use would cost way more than the block (and you get a free block).

I use a cleaver for heavy duty work, your local Chinese emporium is a good source for sensibly priced choppers & blocks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A mate gave me a set of knives as an engagement present when I got tied to the child bride back in 1976... not a boxed set but individual knives to "last a lifetime". They are Wusthof and consist of a steel, a carving knife, a butchers knife, a filleting knife, a vegetable knife and a vegetable peeler. I have been able to keep them sharp but after 35 years they could probably use a professional touch up. Haven't really needed anything else and they are still good as gold. I have my heart set on a Japanese knife I saw recently - not because I need it but just because. made in the same way as the old swords, hammered and folded many times and the edge was truely frightening but it looked amazing - at just under $500 for one knife you might be a bit reluctant to get it out and using it though.

The other knives I have had for many years were three Swedish knives of unknown brand which I bought for hunting about 40 years ago. They are easy to sharpen but also loose their edge fairly quickly. back in the days when I hunted foxes for their pelts I would start each skin with one knife and finish it with a second. These days I use then to open bags of chook food and sharpen carpenters pencils...

cheers

John

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have Wusthofs and Globals, the Globals are a harder steel so are more time consuming to put an edge on, but will hold it longer. I prefer the feel of the Wusthofs. The crazy forged blade John is talking about was probably a Shun, gorgeous knives:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Shun looks sharp.

It's sharpened without bevels, which is how my sharpener has reprofiled my knives. Purists would disagree, but did I mention they're sharp?

·
Registered
465 Posts
we have a set of Global's and they are great, although my wife did manage to snap the cooks knife attempting to smash and lever it through a massive pumpkin in a craze of pumpkin soup making..............

Have yet to replace it though....... the other knives in the set are a little worse for wear, but when sharpened again, damn they are crazy, we have a wushtof cleaver though for hacking duties now, and I love that ;) can really get the beserka on when chopping things up with that!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
sbd said:
Squidder said:
I know quite a few people who have 7 piece sets of Mundial/Wusthof/Global/Henckels etc and only use one or two of them.
This is true.
They're probably those that would use pliers to drive a screw.

I've got a block of Henkles (Spanish made. Some Henkles are even Chinese. now), and I love them all. From paring to butcher. Boning knife comes in handy, and the bread knife is the shiz! It's got 2 carving, though, one small and one large. I use the small carving the least. My fillet knife is a Forshner, scimitar shape. Don't get w/in 12in of my fillet board while it is in action!

My dad has the best steel I've seen. I don't know where he got it, but it works really well. It's diamond coated and eye-shaped in stead of round. 3-4 swipes on that steel and the blade is good to go no matter what the composition. I like high-carbon blades the most to use, but the care needed is too much, so finding the happy medium is the trick.

I like cats.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've got a set of Global - love em. Sharp as Koich's tongue, and as potentially dangerous as yourself.
The main cooks knife is a bit smashed up at the tip, due to being run over by the lawn mower (stupid ex wife left it out after cutting some veggies) I've thought of grinding it back into shape, but dammit, its gotta be the only Global knife in the world to have been run over by a lawn mower, and have the scars to prove it, so I'm happy for it to remain damaged and a talking point.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use Globals, a large cooks knife for almost everything and a small pearing knife for delicate work (read: for the misses when we're cooking together :)). I love them and they do hold their edge well but I use one of the minosharp ceramic wheel sharpeners on them fairly regularly (someone posted the link earlier...http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Public/Global-MinoSharp-Two-Wheel-Ceramic-Water-Sharpener.aspx). My cooks knife is about 4-5 years old now and I might get it professionally edged next year!

You can get some crazy deals on Globals and other brands that people have mentioned here at Victoria's basement in Sydney. Be wary of buying through ebay, especially from overseas!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.