Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Well, back out again this morning, and what a morning.
Met up with David who paddles a blue FnD and seems to specialize in kingies. He had two outfits. I brought along my little 3Kg outfit and my 10lb outfit. Spent the first 20 minutes paddling around Wedding Cake Island, as we had seen seagull around. The FF indicated there was a huge school of fish around the 15-40mt mark. Then the water came alive. Kingies everywhere. First cast with the SP produced a solid hookup on the 10lb gear. The Penn Spinfisher 4400 hummed away as the yellow braid disappeared into the depths. I was using a Daiwa Procion graphite rod which I had bought a couple of months ago. This was my first fish on it. After 20 minutes, the nice 3 kg kingie was next to the kayak, tired but far from beaten. As I reached over with the Boga grip, he was off again and CRACK! the rod snapped. It snapped at around the 3rd runner. Luckily the run was not a big one and I managed to bring him on board, weighed him and released him. Couldn't believe that. Bloody rod!!
Now it was up to the smaller outfit. Three more hookups, one released fish and two snapped the braid. Changed reels over and put the Spinfisher on the lighter rod. Another 2 kingies which were released to fight another day.
Word of caution. I ALWAYS put my phone and keys inside one of those plastic waterproof cases. Today of course I didn't. Hadn't closed the centre hatch properly so...guess what? Phone has been thrown out due to "excessive corrosion and salt damage" and remote control for garage has followed the phone.
Who says fishing is boring??? :shock: :wink:
David caught 2 kingies and a beautiful flathead which he released. Tomorrow we will be back down again around 0500, as the weather looks like it will turn later on in the morning. If anyone can make it, please come along. We will launch from Gordon's Bay, Clovelly.
Some photos.
Cheers

Simon
Prowler 15

P.S Er...forgot to mention. Fell out of the kayak :oops: while trying to adjust transducer on rudder. Totally stupid, totally impossible task. Prowler didn't budge, but I did. Mind you, I was out of the water and back in the kayak faster than those seals can get back on land in those Attenborough documentaries :shock: :shock:

Attachments

· Registered
334 Posts
simond11 said:
Hi all
Well, back out again this morning, and what a morning.
Met up with David who paddles a blue FnD and seems to specialize in kingies. He had two outfits. I brought along my little 3Kg outfit and my 10lb outfit. Spent the first 20 minutes paddling around Wedding Cake Island, as we had seen seagull around. The FF indicated there was a huge school of fish around the 15-40mt mark. Then the water came alive. Kingies everywhere. First cast with the SP produced a solid hookup on the 10lb gear. The Penn Spinfisher 4400 hummed away as the yellow braid disappeared into the depths. I was using a Daiwa Procion graphite rod which I had bought a couple of months ago. This was my first fish on it. After 20 minutes, the nice 3 kg kingie was next to the kayak, tired but far from beaten. As I reached over with the Boga grip, he was off again and CRACK! the rod snapped. It snapped at around the 3rd runner. Luckily the run was not a big one and I managed to bring him on board, weighed him and released him. Couldn't believe that. Bloody rod!!
Now it was up to the smaller outfit. Three more hookups, one released fish and two snapped the braid. Changed reels over and put the Spinfisher on the lighter rod. Another 2 kingies which were released to fight another day.
Word of caution. I ALWAYS put my phone and keys inside one of those plastic waterproof cases. Today of course I didn't. Hadn't closed the centre hatch properly so...guess what? Phone has been thrown out due to "excessive corrosion and salt damage" and remote control for garage has followed the phone.
Who says fishing is boring??? :shock: :wink:
David caught 2 kingies and a beautiful flathead which he released. Tomorrow we will be back down again around 0500, as the weather looks like it will turn later on in the morning. If anyone can make it, please come along. We will launch from Gordon's Bay, Clovelly.
Some photos.
Cheers

Simon
Prowler 15

P.S Er...forgot to mention. Fell out of the kayak :oops: while trying to adjust transducer on rudder. Totally stupid, totally impossible task. Prowler didn't budge, but I did. Mind you, I was out of the water and back in the kayak faster than those seals can get back on land in those Attenborough documentaries :shock: :shock:
Sounds like a productive fishing session anyways...bugger about the rod, good luck for tomorrow :p

Dan

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you are right. Took it back to the shop and they will send it back to Daiwa who will send me another rod to replace it. Personally I wouldn't mind changing rod, as I think it's not a design fault but just the rod. I can upgrade to another rod and pay the difference. Will see.
The fishing at the moment is amazing out there. Luckily it is concentrated in a relatively small area, therefore it's easy to get to the fishing grounds. The ocean is a big place.
Cheers

Simon
Prowler 15

· Registered
2,351 Posts
Good work on the kings - Bummer about the rod, what kind was it?

It's becoming clear that Daiwas reputation aint great when it comes to composite rod performance on yaks.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: Awesome fishing!

· Registered
12,396 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWVFSdVYAAAfXgAASQAEgABQAJ+2fICAASIp+mqGQ9TJp5J6hAhpoAAAhUQ8sVzk2pXmuBActdZNEwG07czEbJvab/cH4oAikqN4db/F3JFOFCQUVJ1Vg

· Registered
278 Posts
Bloody hell! I wish I could be there to share in the spoils of the fun! Another great session Simon. That flathead is awesome. Shame about the rod, what was it?
Looking forward to tomorrow's report!
Cheers,
Jake

· Registered
7,771 Posts
oh boy Simon, this is like a jacque cousteau series , cant wait to read tomorrows results , keep em coming mate, really great stuff, must confess to wondering all day how you would go , great effort, sorry about the rod, the flathead looks really good , makes a lot of difference when you catch them over sand and reef :D

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am quite sure that Daiwa make some great rods, but probably in the higher end of the market. Mind you, the Procion PC-Z 60HFS rod I bought was around $160, so it wasn't a KMart special. I have been catching the kingies on a Black Hole 7ft rod, made in Japan and bought in Singa for around $190. Beautiful rod and it has not let me down yet.
Cheers

Simon
Prowler 15

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Sorry to hear about the losses simond11, but with those sessions it'd take the pain away. Great flattie and pic :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.