Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the web for a decent battery operated LED light for the yak, have found this one which ticks all the boxes. I ordered one yesterday from the US supplier (paid $85 including shipping :-( ) before being referred by them to a local dealer at Expedition Kayaks in Marricville. They sell them for around $55 and they are perfect for the yak. Have not received mine yet but it looks great on paper. Will post an update when I have tried it out.

Here is the link.
http://expeditionkayaks.blogspot.com/20 ... light.html

Cheers

Tonie

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use the Tektite also, although I have stuck it in a piece of PE pipe so it sits high above me.

Got mine for $45 from rowing boat lights http://www.rowingboatlights.com/buy.html

Also got the laserstick as a backup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SurfanFish said:
Interested to see what you think of it.
They are very bright, my wife took some photos from our balcony over looking the harbour and the light stands out very well and I was at least 0.5k away. If I can't find them I'll post one.

No one has hit me yet so I think they are doing the business.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very pleased with mine, the mounting system cannot be better. I mount it out of the way at the back of the hobie on the rear carry handle bracket. Switch it on before launch and it can stay lit for the session, battery lasts 200hrs so it is no big deal to just leave it on for the whole session. The light is very bright, have not been able to see it at a distance on the water but I can imagine it would be visible enough. The height is perfect for general night work in protected waters which is OK for me as I do not see myself venturing outside in huge swells in the dark anyway. I am looking at mounting a camera on it as well, they do have a dedicated camera mount system but with a small mod I can have both the camera and light on the one mount.

I realy like the fact that it is a very stable mount without the need to have any additional holes drilled, weighs almost nothing and will survive the odd dunking. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

Tonie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts