Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
I'd rather deal with GWS's. They truly are scary, scary critters. Much like many South Aficans. :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
salticrak said:
At night, get between a hippo and the water and you are toast. They will also charge a small fire, say your camp fire and trample it. In Natal I was chased by a bloody hippo while fishing in an estuary.Me old man fired up the trusty 2hp motor and we puttered away slowly, very slowly as the fishing boat was a 16ft solid wooden dory and heavy. I still have the little yammie motor and fired it up after 20 yrs of no use, she started first time.
Hippo skin was used to make whips in Africa called a sjambok, a lethal weapon in the right hands.
Hippo tastes like chicken. ;-)
Are you a hippo? Just wondering......*

* I love chicken :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
I find it interesting, both at home and overseas when talking to people about all the dangerous 'critters' we have in Australia, that few consider just how many more dangerous 'critters' are in overseas countries.

Hippos, lions, cheetahs, tigers, elephants, orcas, bears, wolves....

I think we are actually lucky here, despite having about 5 out of the world's 10 most venomous snakes, plus funnel-web spiders, sharks and crocodiles. (http://crikeymatemosaic.wordpress.com/2 ... the-world/)(about 1.5 shark fatalities per year). I've spent a lot of bushwalking and surfing/kayaking, and have seen heaps of highly venomous snakes, and have been surrounded by up to 100 whaler sharks a few times, but have survived.

Bears, hippos etc are scarier, because they will attack you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... th_America

I'd much rather deal with the snakes, spiders and sharks.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
kayakone said:
(about 1.5 shark fatalities per year).
I reckon the .5 would be dead too, so we should just round it up to 2.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
keza said:
kayakone said:
(about 1.5 shark fatalities per year).
I reckon the .5 would be dead too, so we should just round it up to 2.
It's just a statistic Kerry (pun intended).

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
salticrak said:
Let me tell you about the black mamba snake in africa, this thing is deadly. Not only that the bastard can stand up and look you level in the eyes. These guys are super cranky, mean spirited and will actually chase you,to get at ya.Not as poisonous as a lot of Aussie snakes but sure as hell kill more people.
Cape buffalo too are mean,real miserable bastards, he looks at you as though you owe him money, the only way to get close to them is down wind in scrubby bush.
A lions roar,grunting and moaning will make the hairs on yer neck stand up, you will also become highly aware of your position in the food chain.
What about warthogs. Are they dangerous? :lol:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Tonystott said:
Hippos kill more people than any other animal..
I think you mean in Africa. It doesn't even come close to the Indian Cobra.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
kraley said:
mosquitos. by far.
And what Family of the animal kingdom do they belong then? Very small birds perhaps? :D

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
OK I'm done. :D

Having said that, it's the Omoeba within them that kill people.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
sbd said:
Ado said:
it's the Omoeba within them that kill people.
I've just thrown out all my washing powder.
Thaty's OMO Dave. Not Omeoeba. :lol:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
kayakone said:
sbd said:
Ado said:
it's the Omoeba within them that kill people.
I've just thrown out all my washing powder.
Thaty's OMO Dave. Not Omeoeba. :lol:
Okay, I think Ive got it. But...

Who created the Omeoeba? Is this a deadly evolution from the Omoeba? Things were so much simpler when we only had amoebae to worry about.

Will there ever be an Omeoeoeba? An Omeoeoeoba? An Omeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeba?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
You just don't get it, do you SBD. An Omeoeba is a single celled organism from the Victorian highlands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.