Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people, I am about as handy with fixing things as Frank Spencer and have the coordination and technical knowledge of an indoor house plant. Also with 4 kids and a high pressure job I am time poor so want to spend my time on the water not working on my yak. Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy mucking around with it and pimping it within my realm of (limited) skills. I am willing to learn however there are times (like now) when i just want my "issues" fixed.

Does anyone know where on the Sunshine coast (or even Brissy) that I can take my Perception swing Yak to find where the leak in it is? Also get my elite 4 DSI working again (diagnose the problem and if fixable, fix it) I am even happy to pay an AKFF'er to do it?

I understand this will upset some purists and yes I really should learn all this myself but..... well, I tried and its too bluddy hard!! I just want my yak back :D

Cheers in advance fellas

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Hi Funchy

The leak is something you can do yourself. Place the kayak on saw horses (or between two chairs). Put the hose in and visually check for leaks. When you find it, there are a couple of options:
1. Plastic welding - professional or DIY.
2. Boatbog - a waterproof epoxy that sticks to anything, and never goes hard.

I recently welded Beekeeper's Perception Arcadia which had two fine cracks in the bottom, but to be sure we backed it up with Boatbog. If only you were in Brisbane....

How did the sounder stop working? Intermittent fault, or just wouldn't turn on?

Check the transducer is still in place (wet or dry mount?). If it won't turn on at all, it is likely to be one of two causes:

1. a power supply fault, and could be the connection between the battery and the lead to the sounder. Some people use the 'waterproof' plug from Jaycar for this, but I have seen one only a year old pulled apart, and there was corrosion on the ends of the wires. You may avoid this by assembling one with lanolin grease on all connections, but I am cautious about the long term reliability of these pugs. So much so that I am going to convert mine to spade terminals smothered in lanolin grease. At least them you can see everything, and easily re-apply some grease.

2. ..or the sounder itself. Take it to Mal at Sunstate Hobie. He is a Lowrance stockist and can get it checked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks Trev

I put it up on saw horses, filled it with water,couln't find the leak??? Once again if I did and tried to plastic weld it I am sure I would create a bigger hole cos I AM A GUMBY :D

The sounder was working fine then stopped reading abruptly. I think a tranny issues because the rest of the unit was working fine.

Mate I appreciate the advice but I just want to know if I can drop it off somewhere and someone fix it. No time, no tools, no idea really hahhaaaaa

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Funchy said:
Hey Thanks Trev

I put it up on saw horses, filled it with water,couln't find the leak??? Once again if I did and tried to plastic weld it I am sure I would create a bigger hole cos I AM A GUMBY :D

The sounder was working fine then stopped reading abruptly. I think a tranny issues because the rest of the unit was working fine.
Put it up again and sit in it, with a friend as an observer underneath. Fill it again. Also move around a bit in your 'bathtub'. Sometimes it takes that pressure to open the split.

Repeat - sounder to Mal.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mangajack said:
Check the top edge of the rear of the seat area, Pete's developed a crack there a while ago.
I know, I'll drop it off at your place and you ping me when it's fixed! I give you 2 cartons of beer and pay for parts? Sorted!!

:) waddaya say Tony? Hahahaaa.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Funchy put your swing on something upside down, shove an air compressor hose, or the blow side of a vacuum cleaner into the bung hole and seal with some rag and pressurize the yak with some air.

Then along the bottom rails where all the scuppers enter, use a water detergent soapy solution and watch for an air bubble to inflate and that will be your leak.

A common spot on swings is the seat scupper where we drop into the yak on every outing, and be aware the leak will likely only look like a hair.

A slow way, is cover all scuppers with a strip of duct tape underneath except one, then go fishing and see if you take in any water, next trip peel the tape off another scupper, until eventually one will admit water and you can weld any hairline cracks on that scupper with a soldering iron .... while it is a slow method you can still go fishing while researching the leak.

With your sounder if you have mates with the same model, swap the head to another yak and see if it works, and try their head on yours, also same with the battery, but only one component at a time, and it quickly isolates the faulty area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.