Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another post, I went out for my first ever real reef fishing trip in a mate's stink boat on the weekend, and it was an awesome day out. We put the boat in at Bongaree on Bribie island at 5am and motored out to a beacon about 17Kms from there between bribie and moreton islands and jigged some yakkas(no, not guys in yaks, troppo, small fish) for live bait. With about 30 yakkas in the tank we headed straight towards our destination, open waters, woohoo. Approximately another 25Kms of travel through the upper bay and into open water, getting deeper as we go. As we approached our destination, the water level dropped to 25m, 30m, 35, I started to get pretty excited, then we were getting very close to our gps mark and the bottom rose to 16m in the space of a few seconds, very exciting stuff, but thinking this was the start of a large platau, we motored on a little and sadly lost this bomby and decided to anchor up near by, well me must have been close to some good structure all the same as there were heaps of fish on the sounder, anchor down, lines out. A bait never touched the bottom without bites for the next 3 hours and fish after fish came over the side. Yellow tail Kings (a first for me) tarwine, tusk fish, squire (got my first keeper, very happy) moses perch, happy moments, leather jacket, so much fun! Then it happened, the sinker hit the bottom, tap tap, bang! My bait started moving off and the drag started to give line, woohoo I thought, this is the big one we had hoped for! I guestimate it took 50m of my 15lb line before I put some pressure on and it turned back to the boat, I had it beat! (so I thought) quickly it came back to the boat and I started putting upward pressure on it, wouldnt budge, under the boat it went, and off and out to sea and we gave chase. 200m we chased it, keeping pressure the whole way, already I have been fighting this fish for 45mins and it wasnt stopping. Again it turned and headed back to the reef. My arms were aching, my back was aching, my mouth was dry as I pumped and wound, ocasionally even getting some line back, then it went around someone's anchor rope and it was all over. 90mins of struggle for nothing. I was shattered. for an hour I was a hero, people getting out of our way as we chased the fish, cheering me on, looking on in wonder at the sweat dripping down my face. All for nothing. My muscles still hurt.
I sat down and we found another nice drop off, got this one on the GPS, got a few more nice fish, moved again, got another nice GPS mark and a few more fish and thought about heading home. All up, it was an amazing day on the water, and we went home with a few good feed each. Conditions couldnt have been better with under 10knots wind forcast for the day and moderate swells, just a few rogue monsters rolling through that caused no drama as they were gradual rise and fall. Looking forward to doing it again some time.

Here's a few pics of a few unidentifieds that I caught and moreton island in the background.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
YakAtak said:
Jigged some yakkas . . . With about 30 yakkas in the tank . . .
What! :shock: How could you do that to your fellow yak fishos!

Oh, I see now. They are yakkas, not yakkos. I should read a bit slower and heed warnings. :oops:

Ah, well, glad you had a nice day out. :D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sounds like it gave you a real work out. Good post Yak :D

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Think you may have been playing with a black kingie mate.

Looking at the pics your PB kayak fish are bigger, so think there's a message there :wink:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Dodge said:
Looking at the pics your PB kayak fish are bigger, so think there's a message there :wink:
That's really funny! Great sense of humour Dodge. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts