·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Amazing!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Barrabundy said:
I just want to know whether my health insurance will cover the gap.
That's what underwear is for.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Bags not getting a prostate exam from an IPhone! :shock:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
hay zilch, i tried to get the mods to move this one to "jokes" but no success.

in answer to your question, this is undoubtedly the future of medicine and as the technology express heads down the tracks at increasing speed can i suggest you jump off now. :)

all doctors know (though they increasingly dont bother practicing it) that correct diagnosis (and this is born out by 1000's of studies) relies on the following and in the following ratios

history (talking to and LISTENING to the patient) 80 %
physical examination (touching, probing, feeling ,asking "does this hurt") 15 %
investigations (blood tests, xrays) 5 %

unfortunately, through the publics love of the the pretty pictures. medicare reimbursing technology far more than listening, we appear to have completely reversed these ratios. idiots like DR HOUSE who ask one question, dont even touch the patient and then order $10,000 of tests dont help as the younger generation think this is how it all works (so sad).

you'll be amazed next time your at the doctors (and hospitals are worse) that they'll hardly talk to you and they may not even touch you.you have ceased to be a person, you are "that chest pain in cubicle one" or "that colonoscopy in cubilce 2"
the whole lot are doing you a terrible (and expensive) disservice.(and misdiagnosing you)

just on doctor samsung and some of his ideas.(glad to see he very briefly declared his "commercial interest"

1 his little i phone ecg :D , well after the first patient plays with that app and the app says "heart all good', 'relax" and then drops dead and his widow sues apple for a gazillion, you can expect the following to happen.
the parameters on the app will be re set , so in 50 % of cases it will say "oh, POSSIBLE cardiac event, call ambulance.

this should lead to some good access block at the local cas as 1000's of worried well clog the system :)

and of course rather than just examine them and , hell, look at their face and see if they look terrified and if they are pale and sweaty (a good cheap option for detecting cardiac events) we can have lots of junior doctors filling the cardiac cath labs with patients who are young, smiling merrily and enjoying tweeting on facebook about their exciting trip to the hospital and the lights and sirens :D ) $8,000 an angio (lol)

2 re his little portable echo thingy. OMFG. 25 to 35 % of the NORMAL population have an abnormality on a cardiac echo.
(usually a trivial and functionally insignificant small leak in a valve)
this is why it is the most over abused technology around.
the cardiologists LOVE it, gotcha they say, nurse order that new audi, 'oh you have a leaky valve, that needs watching, better come back for a $450 echo every year til you drop dead, so we can keep an eye on it" "thank god this technology is here to keep you safe' WTF
thanks DR APPLE, you just put another 100,000 people into the system, you dont really think they are going to be happy to know their heart is leaky, just on some app, you do realise they are going to go the next step and ask for the lowrance hd 7 machine with lights and buzzers to do the fancy scan (hopefully dr apple can water the taxpayer money tree in canberra for you) and when we have a government that prides itself on making everything free at the point of delivery, you must realize doctors and the worried well are just scamming your money

3 re his little thingy that gets implanted in your blood and warns you when you mite be going to have an "event"
i cant even comment on that except to say that the hypochondriacs and worried well will be queued up round the block when that little sucker comes out.

and thats the great problem. if you even look at a simple app like a glucometer, what do we find?
the anal retentives with very mild diabetes, measure it 4 times a day and come in with reams of printout and in a state of acute anxiety. the 150 kg ompa-lompas with the cream bun and the coke, check it twice, it says HI as in" high" but they probably just think its greeting them. then they piff it in the drawer because they were never serious about their health anyway

24 hour monitoring, is not the way to go, if you wanted to lose weight (a good healthy thing to do) would it help you to have an app that plotted your weight every hour. weight watchers KNOW that once a week is ideal. any more leads to overload and less success.

anyway, good luck with the brave new world of technology :D

heres some advice and you dont need an app (app-ologies)

1 go to your fridge and your pantry and anything in a packet or a tin, bin it
2 go grab the kids or the dog and drag em away from the call of duty on line and go to the park or if its raining, have a game of hidey go seek indoors
3 have lots of sex
4 dont drink anything but water and black tea.
5 throw the salt in the bin
6 go for a one hour swim in the ocean every weekend
7 cut your medicare card in half and stay away from doctors and hospitals (they're a health hazard) :D
get in touch with your body, it will tell you when something is wrong, dont be overloading that sucker with apps that think they are smarter than your "gut instinct' they arent.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I felt the same way about the digital camera Pete.

I reckon a message like that from my iphone would probably give me a heart attack.

Due to the increasingly high exam results that you need to get in to medicine, I think all doctors will sound like robots in the future anyway.
Hi exam marks don't give you the ability to empathise.

It's interesting reading your posts because you sound like doctors use to be and what they should be, unfortunately I have pretty much given up on GPs, it takes me 6 months to get in to see a good one and without an iphone app I can't predict how I will be feeling in 6 months.
The doctors I can get in to see at short notice seem to have a cue of people at the door, see you for 5 mins, they then rattle off a couple of secret codes to the receptionist and she charges you $190.
So in Eastern Sydney it seems GPs are for a annual check up (if you remembered to book it), the medical centre is where you go to avoid the long wait at A and E and A and E is where you go if you know the medical centre or doctor will probably send you there anyway.

The general feeling seems to be that if you can get in to see someone then they can't be very good as all the good people are booked up for months in advance.
I personally feel that I have no medical support and am reliant on self diagnosis for 80% of my health.

There is money to be may so it will happen and I'm sure some doctors in remote areas etc will find it very useful for saving lives.
I do think a nokia 3310 is better suited to a prostate check though.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
nezevic said:
I'd take a motorola V3620 over any other for a prostate exam but each to thier own.
You'll get the Motorola 8000X and you'll like it!

G

·
At the rate phones are increasing in size, by the time I have to get a prostate exam, thsdoc will be trying to jam a 50inch plasma screen up my ass. A clam phone will probably be the last of my worries.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I dunno. We seem to be coming full circle.

G

·
Zed, if he used the antenna, it'd probably be better than his finger. But considering where it's going, Murphy's Law says it'd be the other way round.

·
Registered
293 Posts
get in touch with your body, it will tell you when something is wrong, dont be overloading that sucker with apps that think they are smarter than your "gut instinct' they arent.

given the amount that I "got in touch with my body" as a youngster, I must be immortal. :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Zed said:
"Moooooon river..."

BTW, has anyone else ever been following a bus full of kids and been 'mooned'? It's happened to me twice. Not sure if it's my driving, my age or what?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.