Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking at putting some outriggers on my prowler13......i looked at the Hobie one's and they look good but like most things Hobie they are pretty expensive $300.00 ish :( Just wondering if anyone has some experience with other outriggers home made or bought...cheers Paul

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi,

I've just made a double (pair) outrigger for my small glass kayak.

I used 90mm PVC about 900mm long with 45 degree bends at each end and then another piece rising 300mm front and back from the 45 degree bends.

This is an old style of outrigger with drag that might be considered unacceptable by some. But extremely easy and cheap to make (Even as a trial) and makes a roll impossible if they are out a little way from the sides. Mine have 50mm pvc rising from them and then an elbow to bring it back to the kayak where it is held on and continues accross to the other outrigger.

Hope this may be of assistance.

Iain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i think your right about the fisho.....but id need to buy some tweed fishing outfits so i could tackle the estuary perch with aplomb :shock: !!!.... poustie perch!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
gibsoni said:
Hi,

I've just made a double (pair) outrigger for my small glass kayak.

I used 90mm PVC about 900mm long with 45 degree bends at each end and then another piece rising 300mm front and back from the 45 degree bends.

This is an old style of outrigger with drag that might be considered unacceptable by some. But extremely easy and cheap to make (Even as a trial) and makes a roll impossible if they are out a little way from the sides. Mine have 50mm pvc rising from them and then an elbow to bring it back to the kayak where it is held on and continues accross to the other outrigger.

Hope this may be of assistance.

Iain.
G'day Iain , do you have any pics ?

·
Registered
774 Posts
similar story to gibsoni, I made an outrigger for a 16' canoe using 75mm pvc pipe. It was approx 3m long with a right angle at each end, pointing upwards, approx 200mm risers, then a right angle on the top of those that pointed back towards the canoe. 2000mm spacer was enough to join the outrigger to the canoe and still left room to paddle in between the canoe and the outrigger. I capped the ends of the spacer and made a completely waterproof flotation device. These were lashed to the canoe, 2 mins to remove/refit. If the kayak is balanced right, only the bottom of the outrigger will be in the water, not the front of the right angle, thus reducing drag. Before gluing it all together, I dry fitted it and tested it on a calm day just to get the measurements right.

You can lean into the outrigger, we had 2 guys on the side of the canoe and it hardly leaned over - but don't lean away from the outrigger - it hardly reduces the roll. We almost got very wet. The outrigger made it really comfortable, allowing us to stand and fish. That rig is down on Flinders Island now, I will have a look for a photo.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Have a look on the Hobie kayak forum - there's a good post on fitting homemade outriggers to an Outback here: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... back#p5345

It uses weird lobster pot floats that you probably can't get here, but the use of the Ram rod holders is a stroke of genius that lets you set the out riggers at any angle. It should be able to be adapted for your Prowler, maybe using those boat fenders that CatfishKeith suggested.

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts