Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have been fishing around Scarborough reef for almost a year now & seem to do pretty well with catching Squire, Tailor & Bream. I have never caught a Jew & hear about them being caught around the reef fairly often. Is anyone willing to share some tips ie, what to look for on the sounder, or water depth Ect? I fish exclusively with lures - Soft plastics & trolling hard bodies. Am I just very unlucky to have not caught one in this time, or am I just not holding my mouth right? Thanks for any help. Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Rob... there are times that I definitely fish for jew and occasionally catch them, but mostly my catches come when trolling for snapper/tailor/ jew... all with the same lures (about 5 different lures that have caught all of these species). You could call them accidental jew catches, but if you troll where you think you are most likely to catch your targeted species, they don't seem to fit into the accidental category, eh?

I sometimes catch Jew (and Grunter) when fishing soft-plastics for snapper. These fish are often caught in the same areas and I would rate those catches as more accidental than the other times when you've specified that you're "on a jewie run."

When I'm on a Jewie run, I try to troll where I think that jew would be at that time, and continually run that track. However... fish don't play by our rules, and you can catch them (or they can hit you) when you're least expecting them. A lot of jew-fishermen I've known in the past have told me that although they are targeting them relentlessly, they often go fishless, but sometimes they hit the bonanza times, and it's all go!

Jew are right up there in my opinion, give you a great run for your money, look wonderful, and not only that, they go well on the plate, too.

Hang in there Rob... your day will come and when it does, you won't be able to wipe the grin from your face and your chest will swell with pride! Just remember though that although the legal size in Qld is 75cm, shrinkage is to be allowed for, as, especially if you keep it on ice for some time, it will shrink... sometimes up to 5cm.

Fisheries officers don't care what it used to measure when you caught it... just what it measures when they run the rule over it... and that can cost you big-time.

I hope I've been of some help, Rob...

Cheers... Jimbo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any problem catching decent fish, I have always wanted to catch a jew & have only ever seen one get caught (about 30cm long.). Catching squire is awesome & I will never tire of it, but a jew would be nice.

Thanks for the info Jimbo, by the way I went out yesterday to try my luck & the only thing I hooked was one of your mates. He said to say hi. Although I must admit that it was pretty exciting for a little while, until I figured out that I was hooked to Michaelangelo. Maybe next time.
Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TarponRob said:
Thanks for the info Jimbo, by the way I went out yesterday to try my luck & the only thing I hooked was one of your mates. He said to say hi. Although I must admit that it was pretty exciting for a little while, until I figured out that I was hooked to Michaelangelo. Maybe next time.
Cheers, Rob.
By that, I believe you're referring to my flippered friends, Rob?

Had a brief encounter with a small one about a week ago... first one for ages... and I'd like to keep it that way!

Hang in there...

Cheers, Jimbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.