Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I really appreciate the non commercial ethos on which this forum is founded and I also understand the reason behind maintaining and protecting our recreational status but I can't help but notice a shift a "stepping up" in vigilance. Is it just my imagination? :?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Can't help but note the irony (as I struggle with insomnia) that poor Bobs paranoia around being watched has not been helped by a mod telling him he's not being watched 11 minutes after he ran down the road telling anyone who would listen that he was being watched! :)

Oh dear. Have I said too much? Am I being watched now too? Now I really can't sleep.

Damn tinfoil hat doesn't help either. Makes a crinkly sound when I role over...

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
For me it's the sport of being the first in hunting down that naive spammer who thinks no one has noticed.

As for the ones who have become experts in subtle product placement and manage to endorse their sponsored product through trip reports and general chit chat on the forum, that's a bit harder to prove, although declaring their interest in the signature line is probably good enough (which most of them do anyway). At least these people have been around long enough to have genuinely contributed to the forum rather than make their opening post "check out this great new product <insert link>

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Rob from my perspective the forum has always had peaks and troughs of commercial or suspected spam paranoia among both mods and some members.

Reckon it's best coped with by using your own intelligence about what question, or product mention, is crap or genuine, not many of us need mother holding our hands all the time, and in the main people/threads are decent on the forum.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I never notice it here, but perhaps that is because of the over-the-top commercial intensity that exists on BreamMaster, where at least once a month a thread is started and titled along the lines:

What is the best rod for...?
What is the best lure for...?
What is the best line for...?
What should I buy for $...?
What's better, Shimano or Daiwa?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen a few instances lately where members motives have been called into question and I must admit I was a little surprised at Occy's motives being called into question. In the time I have been a member of this forum, I have never seen (or noticed) any of the established members cross that line. To be honest, I would have though that he would have been given the benefit of the doubt, especially given his past participation.

Close on the heals of that, a new member asked a relatively benign question (IMO) and promptly had his motives questioned. I guess that these are the reasons why I asked the question, that's all.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Brc226 said:
Close on the heals of that, a new member asked a relatively benign question (IMO) and promptly had his motives questioned. I guess that these are the reasons why I asked the question, that's all.
sorry to have caused any friction but the question asked was very similar to other recent "questions" that had proved to be nothing more than a tool to direct people to a particular advertisment. The mods checked it out and passed it as OK and I accept that as enough for me. My question was legit as was the mods response and also the original question...

cheers

John

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bretto said:
I never notice it here, but perhaps that is because of the over-the-top commercial intensity that exists on BreamMaster, where at least once a month a thread is started and titled along the lines:

What is the best rod for...?
What is the best lure for...?
What is the best line for...?
What should I buy for $...?
What's better, Shimano or Daiwa?
This.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.