Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I'm from melbourne and mainly fish port phillip bay. Targets being snapper flathead squid and whiting. We are lucky to have a great fishery at our door steps however I have a bit of kingy envy.

I go to sydney yearly at summer time to see family as I originally hale from there. I have read the post here on kingfish but I do have one question.

How do you land a big kingfish once it is by your yak?

I can land 70cm snapper with a landing net, but I would think a 80cm kingy might be a bit more of a challenge. I cannot wait to get up there next summer!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, if you havent got a large hatch you take some good cord and tail wrap the beast and drag him backwards to the beach, or at least thats what I intend to do if I ever manage to land one :shock:

Seriously, you need to bleed these beasts and get em on ice asap, keeping em alive til youve got ice available isnt a bad idea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just imagined doing the above techniques. If I can't catch one in real life at least I have done it in my mind. ;-)

I reckon trying to tail wrap a trashing fish may be awkward though. i suppose some sort of lasoo knot may work.

Lifting it on by the leader sounds good. As long as I don't pull the hook or high stick my rod.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In that last vid they didn't even have a line out! Soft!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Digger said:
Artie said:
Well, if you havent got a large hatch you take some good cord and tail wrap the beast and drag him backwards to the beach, or at least thats what I intend to do if I ever manage to land one :shock:

Seriously, you need to bleed these beasts and get em on ice asap, keeping em alive til youve got ice available isnt a bad idea.

Good luck!
Trolling for sharks?
Yep did think that might prove exciting, not scared of sharks are ya?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Artie said:
Digger said:
Artie said:

Good luck!
Trolling for sharks?
Yep did think that might prove exciting, not scared of sharks are ya?
More about being sensible isn't it? Blooding itself I don't mind, but the combination with so long flapping in the water just has to be sending out attention signals to sharks. Mind you these things seem obvious on a vid, different to actually being there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Digger said:
Trolling for sharks?
Yep did think that might prove exciting, not scared of sharks are ya?[/quote]

Yip![/quote]
Ha, me too! You'd be a nutter if you weren't. I think the best solution in my Revo would be to slop it in the front hatch once bled, may need a suitable fish bag. Never thought is need a bag THAT big :shock:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Drag behind the yak. Don't forget a couple big circle hooks for when chompy shows up :? Stole this plan from me ol mate Artie.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Of the bigger ones I've landed, most of the time I've reached down and grabbed the jig head and slid the fish over the side (and tear my fingers up a bit). I've also shoved my thumb in it's mouth and slid it one board ( don't try it with toothy fish......). Most of the fish I've caught are pretty worn out by the time they come over the side, but I then lip grip them (the grips are tethered) and rest a leg / foot over them just to be safe. SBD tells a tale of woe, where he caught a kingfish of a lifetime, landed it, bled it, only to have it do a final flip, out of the yak and sink to the depths.
I don't like bleeding my fish out in open water - I think it might send the wrong message........

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Spiking or clubbing the head doesn't let much blood. I'd bleed it as well for the taste and let the shark shield do the rest, but that's academic since I can't catch a bloody king.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.