Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok how do i do it?
Ive just install a well in my front well so i can use it as a eskie.
But now my hands a coverd with it, ive got most of it off but now my hand are black.
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I use a rag soaked with isopropyl alcohol to get the majority of it off. Then I'll use a scrub pad soaked in alcohol to get the rest. It is hard on the hands, but it will get most of the Sikaflex off. I also use the white Sikaflex since it more closely matches my skin tone and I know that I won't be able to get it off my hands completely. :? You might try a clear silicone-based adhesive in the future. I've been using Marine Goop lately and I'm very happy with the results. It isn't perfect for every application, but it adheres well to polyehylene (if the surface is roughed-up), has good mechanical strength and cleans up easily.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Oh dear, I had a similar problem when I put the flush mounts in Squidette's yak, I ended up with black sikaflex spots on my hands for a week. I never found a good way to get it off, but resolved to wear disposable gloves when working with sikaflex from now on :wink:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
petrol or turps before it goes off.

better still, don't get it on ya hands in the first place. Wear disposable gloves. :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
got most of it off with dry paper towels (kitchen) and then paper towels soaked in mineral turps - much like oil painting

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yep i'll go with hairy , examination gloves are the go "before" you use it.

It's one of those things that need to wear off as well as using the thinner typ chemicals to get it off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a way to get is off, i used metho and a sanding block.
I found out its good for removing finger prints too :roll:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Cover the black sickaflex with white sikaflex :idea:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Actually Rik's a Pommie so the white will be fine :D
Actually do they make anything whiter? :D

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I know here ya coming from PeterJ, there's guys like us who are just trying to put forward helpful suggestions...and then there's the others....guys like Occy...who hop along as they please like mindless bunny rabbits.... and then go about deliberately trying to change the whole tone of the thread. Off with the rabbits! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts