Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Yak Gods

These pictures are across the road from me and are taken on low tide. I can get my Hobie Adventure in at high tide, but this obviously restricts me.

Any thoughts on how I get the yak in over these rocks?

I've so far thought about building some sort of slide system out of PVC that I can use almost like a boat trailer. Another thought is a piece of carpet?

Anyone have anything to add?

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Carpet would be cheap, but if a bit cashed up, wait till an hour before a big low tide, and pour some Readymix over it. (25 mm aggregate/30 mpa - 50 slump. No need to box it at that slump). Only needs to be 120 cms wide. Screed and float it off. Add some groove marks when going off. Minimum delivery for about 0.8 metre will probably set you back about $ 200, if you don't get caught.

Cheaper still fill in the large gaps with a trailer load of finer crushed aggregate, say around 20 mm. The Beachwheels KCB, carrying the AI, will roll over that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah there's a place I would like to launch that has a pile of limestone, bigger rocks than that.
In this case maybe get a few 4 wheel drive ramps they use to get them out of a bog. They are made of plastic. You may be able to slide your kayak along them.

Pete

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Perhaps try some of that interlocking rubber flooring used when camping and usually sold 4 in a packet.

Rather than lock the sections together, hinge them with nylon zip ties like a folding door, so you cart them folded ready to use, then flick to open like a track.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe a couple of sheets of custom orb and some tie wire, plus some candle wax to assist the slide.

Some sand bags to act as anchors to the Custom Orb.

Also a cheap 3:1 winch some how anchored to the top kerb would assist in recovery.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
The fact you're asking makes me think that me saying "just slide it down" isn't the answer you're looking for. Probably not a long term solution but that's what I do when I come across something like that.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Barrabundy said:
The fact you're asking makes me think that me saying "just slide it down" isn't the answer you're looking for. Probably not a long term solution but that's what I do when I come across something like that.
Yep, that was my solution. One of the advantages of plastic. No so good with glass.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
kayakone said:
Carpet would be cheap, but if a bit cashed up, wait till an hour before a big low tide, and pour some Readymix over it. (25 mm aggregate/30 mpa - 50 slump. No need to box it at that slump). Only needs to be 120 cms wide. Screed and float it off. Add some groove marks when going off. Minimum delivery for about 0.8 metre will probably set you back about $ 200, if you don't get caught.

Cheaper still fill in the large gaps with a trailer load of finer crushed aggregate, say around 20 mm. The Beachwheels KCB, carrying the AI, will roll over that.
Is this on public property? If so Trevs suggestion about a DIY ramp wouldn't be recommended practice by the local authority. It looks like they have spent money already on a retaining wall and those rocks look like they were added deliberately rather than by nature.

A non permanent solution would be best

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
I agree with Nick...a(nother) moment of madness on my part. All the temporary suggestions are preferable, and there were some excellent and cheap ones there. Sorry to be such a pragmatist, but I am a bit cynical of government processes ATM.

If you want to see madness though, try asking a local council to construct a 'ramp', even at your expense. Betcha they say no, or bill you $ 10,000. That would involve a structural and civil engineer, a WHSO officer, an EIS, hydraulics and environmental engineers, ten boffins and a few takeaways and coffees.

Tell you what...I was about to ask a council to do the same thing, to enable kayak launching at a spot in Brisbane. I will post the results here if anyone is interested...

Good luck with it JRF. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
I like the idea of the 90 mm Drain pipe.

To expand this a bit further;

Attach pvc guttering to the frame of 90mm pvc pipe.

The guttering acts as tracks to allow a trolley to track down.

I wouldn't put end caps on the 90 pvc as buoyancy may be a problem.

You could build a trolley out of pvc to run the yak down & up.

You could also install some small galvanised or stainless anchors in the rocks and concrete to help keep the tracks in place temporarily.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would just use one of these old fashioned sleeping pad, wouldnt cost more than 10 box in a cheap shop and you d be able to slide the yak down easily. I also use these foamy crap to make seals, so you can even use some of it to do some other odd jobs on the yak.
Cheers

Boris

·
Registered
388 Posts
It easy. Every time you go and look at the problem move one rock unti you have two 50cm wide wheel tracks the correct distance apart for your trolley. That way the Council won't notice or will assume that it is due to unusual wave action

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you have a kayak trolley...2 bits of 4x2 set at the width of the wheels will do the trick....strap it on the roof with your kayak....Cheap as bro

·
Registered
29 Posts
what about a few metres of conveyer belt rubber (usually 900 or 1200mm wide I think) rolled up on the kayak whilst you wheel it over the road, roll it over the rocks and wheel the yak down to the water ;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Of course what we haven't considered. How do you slide it back up again?

Getting it down you could use the inertia method. This involves untying your kayak about 100 metres from the wall. Driving at the wall accelerating as much as possible. If you can get to the wall doing around Mach 3 this should do nicely. Slam the breaks on and the kayak would sail over the rocks and land in the water perfectly.

Just trying to be helpful

Pete

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Just leave the trolley in the scuppers and wheel it over them. To land, put the trolley in while still in the water.
If it were me, I'd go the BarraBundy method.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.