Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
just recently purchased a hobie revo 13 :D
After a trip with the factory hobie seat on ,( I didnt find it particulary comfortable )
I considered putting a old surf to summit seat on , and def found it better even after a 6hr plus peddle
Was just wondering how many guys use the factory seat and how many dont ?
Im certainly not rubbishing hobie IN ANY WAY , just curious what peoples thoughts are ? :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Marty , I found the same with my Revo 11 seat.
Back support was good but padding under my butt was really average.
I now use a Skwoosh Gel seat pad on top and no more " Monkey Butt".
I also have a 2BnMotion seat on my Venus but haven't tried it on the Revo as yet.
Cheers , Richo.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I've only ever used the Hobie seat on my kayak and it's still the original one from 2008. It's probably not the most comfortable seat around but I've never tried anything else to compare it with.

Maybe some people are just too soft :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Howdy, I use the std seat in Revo and the Hobie inflatable cushion under that, no issues at all and I spend 4 to 8 hours in the seat at a time when offshore. BUT, thats with MY bum, every bum is different :lol: :lol:

The only issue I have with the Hobie seat is that occasionally, particularly after a re-entry and the body twist to re-seat yourself, the expander spikes which locate in the hull can pull out, thats a major pain in the arse..... :? Id like NOT to have those to deal with....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Like Artie I use the hobie cushion which attaches by velcro to the seat. Fantastic in the way it has improved my comfort for long sessions. I used to use another self inflating cushion named Crack of Dawn, which was pretty good but needed to be re-inflated regularly and repositioned. I have never regretted the purchase of the hobie cushion apart from the fact that i should have got it sooner.

rob

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bertros said:
Have had the factory seat on the Revo and used it with some closed-cell foam underneath for extra padding. Recently left it drying on some rocks up at Elizabeth Beach, so have used the opportunity to ugrade to the Surf to Summit GTS Expedition and while yet to test it on the water, it looks the goods! I dare say the AI will get an upgrade to the seat soon also once the SWMBO tries my new one.
Howdy, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the seat once youve had a chance to test it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bertros said:
Have had the factory seat on the Revo and used it with some closed-cell foam underneath for extra padding. Recently left it drying on some rocks up at Elizabeth Beach, so have used the opportunity to ugrade to the Surf to Summit GTS Expedition and while yet to test it on the water, it looks the goods! I dare say the AI will get an upgrade to the seat soon also once the SWMBO tries my new one.
Bertros. This yours?

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31963

I use a 2bn motion seat on both the AI and the Revo. to make them btter I put the base of a hobie seat under as well. I would recomend them. I would also say I find the old hobie seat more comfortable than the High Back one, but that might just be me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
G'day guys. I always thought the factory seat on my Outback was just fine :? however a recent trip to SLH saw me leave with a bag of goodies that included a Hobie inflatable seat cushion. Damn this thing is the ducks nuts and never new what I was missing out on :D
Now if I could just get the backrest sorted as I find I can never get it upright enough. That being said, I am a big unit so it might be more me than Hobie with the problem. If anyone has successfully swapped seats to another brand I would love to hear about it.
What I really need is a Hobie that has about 6 extra inches between the seat and the peddles, a Hobie "Fairlane" :lol:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi guys, my only interest is in the seat fixing setup as I'm not overly happy with the 2 spikes the thing does everything else well enough. G'day Pete how's QLD?

·
Registered
975 Posts
A few mates have hobies - they all seem to lack some back support as they all end up leaning back after an hour or so.
Mine always did. I also lack bumular padding of the meaty kind, and suffered bummus numbus after a few hours. No good if you often do 6-8 hour sessions.
I got some 1" thick closed cell foam, and it helped with the bum but not with the back.
I drilled a heap of small holes in the foam and it helped even more.
Got a GTS expedition seat for xmas and added a couple of padeyes for it. I now pedal erect! (get your minds above your belts...) but - it was still harsh on the rr's. Now I have the fancy seat, with the homemade drilled closed cell foam on top - and I am comfy, and well supported. The only more comfortable kayak seat I've tried costs almost $4k and comes with a PA.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah mine WAS reclining slowly, just had to loop the top straps through the locks a second time and that stopped it from happening. I'm serious, I have NO issue with the hobie seat other than it popping out of the locators under some form of load. I reckon you guys must have some seriously weird arses.... :shock:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Artie said:
I reckon you guys must have some seriously weird arses.... :shock:
The fact that you even think that way Rob worries me Mate. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.