Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paffo (Oct 24th) asked a similar Q - but though other parts to his Q got answered, I didn't see the answer to this bit. Sorry about ettiquette - didn't know whether I should continue his post or start another - let me know (as if you won't!).

I have a new Hobie Outfitter and am thoroughly enjoying it. However, I have noticed that I take-on a fair amount of water in the hull. Last week my son & I were out for about 6 hours and came back in with enough water to make it difficult taking the boat out of the water. It didn't carry well on its wheels because the bum end was dragging. I upended it with difficulty (have I said it was noticeably heavy?) and I reckon I got at least a two gallon bucket-full of water out... when I am out by myself for an hour or two there is probably a quarter of a bucket-full.

My question... is this normal? I noted that Paffo reckoned the water was coming-in the eyelet holes for the rudder - any suggested cures?

Cheers.......

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Mate, Hobie seem to be having a few quality control issues lately with cracking hulls around the Mirage drive and excessive water intake. I wouldn't worry however as thus far in every occurrence I have heard about, they have been very quick to sort the problem. This is unlike another player in the SOT market who chooses to ignore little problems and hide their head in the sand. I am confident that your local dealer will sort it out for you. If not send a PM to HobieAus who is a forum member. He will sort it for you no worries.

Catch ya Scott

· Registered
1,147 Posts
2 gallons! That's about 8-10 litres of water. Way too much. Look for any obvious sources of entry for the water, such as loose fittings, or rod holders that may not be sealed.

Contact the dealer where you got it and get them to look over the kayak - gotta be a good reason for that kind of water getting into the hull. If it is hobbies "fault" then I'd be after an exchange.

If it is a DIY error - then maybe ask one of the guy here for advice.

PM me for suggestions in dealing with reps.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks, these are just the sorts of replies I needed. I didn't want to go in to the dealer and find that this amount of water was "normal" (or be told it was without any understanding of what others think is "normal")

It is especially pertinent as the other half of the family (wife & daughter) are pushing for their own Hobie tandem for a Xmas present !!! So I will find out what he after-sales service is like & go to the other dealer in Perth if necessary.

Then will have to see if I can vertically stack two Hobies on the rack on the car - anyone else done that?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

· Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Mate do not ever stack two yaks vertically. A few yaks advertise themselves as being stackable but it is a load of crap. You will deform your hulls and loose yaks off the roof. Special roof rack attachments are available which allow you to carry two yaks on the one vehicle.

Catch ya Scott

· Registered
3,547 Posts
Ok a few things to try and help you...

1. Maximum weight for this yak is 210kg ( I think ), ive had 205kg on it recently for about 1 cup full of water but in windy conditions ( 20+ knots and chop ) with 2 people of about 170kg i can get about 1 litre in the hull.

2. Before i learned how to drain the hull i went out solo and got about 3 litres ( Conditions were bad though! ) which made the yak very heavy and very slow, only ONCE or TWICE with two people the approximate combined weight of 170kg made us take on 3 - 4 litres ( I have been known to exagerate a little, so maybe a touch under )

3. I sent a few emails and asked the question, didnt really get much out of it except over time ive learned to deal with it and i did learn how to drain the yak... and learned that you could not get a manual. :?

How much weight combined with your son is on the yak? In other words is the weight distribution between the front and the back even or is it more like 80 / 20... get a bucket and empty the yak into it, even if combined weight of water and yak make it harder to lift! ( Will give you an indication, anything over a bucket is really, really bad )

Im sure with the issues ive had its a very similar problem, too much weight in the back in other than ideal conditions see the rudder cords submerged on and off for about 50% of your time on the water, if your travelling with the wind blowing in your back down stream in a chop this is a sure fire way of taking on h20, all these things i had to find out the hard way!

Its not the best yak solo and have heard the Mirage Drive housing defects were limited to Outbacks and Adventures ( Not sure about sports ) so i would rule out any hull damage, i have written to Hobie in America and given feedback directly on what i think of the Outfitter... despite what ive said above i am VERY happy with my yak and wouldnt swap it for the world, although i am thinking of purchasing an additional solo yak thats 10kgs lighter to make loading and unloading easier on the body.

All in all i guess talk to your rep and express your concern, I havent spoken to my dealer ( Hobie that is! ) since i bought the yak... im 100% satisfied with my Hobie product and reputation but everything else was a little so - so when it came to the Outfitter.

Hope that helps mate :?

· Registered
3,547 Posts
Barrabeachy has a tandem Hobie too, hopefully he will post in this thread and give us his opinion on his yak taking on water... apparently to help with weight when he goes solo he fills a 30 litre bucket with h20 and places it along with his dog in the front of the yak.

Wonder how much 30 litres + bucket would weigh in kg?

· Registered
4,242 Posts
We also forgot the salt. A body being more buoyant in salt water means the water is denser, so heavier, than an equivalent quantity of fresh water.

Then we have to account for temperature and even the effects of local gravitational anomalies. I don't see how we can possibly be expected to provide a sensible answer to this question

· Registered
444 Posts
Actually Mark, I never visit this sectiion.
We generally deal directly and quickly with our customers problems. You will be hard-pressed to find a dissatisfied Hobie Kayak owner.
As for the water ingress, most kayaks with rear rudder controls have apertures near the rear, that can ingest a little water. The Hobie system uses internal tubes that make it more difficult for the water to get all the way into the hull but in rough conditions, in a following sea, it can happen but usually only a cupfull or so The Outfitter does need a little corrector balllast in the front if a big guy goes solo.
MLTF, 20 litres is a lot of water. I suggest you return the kayak to your dealer for examination
Mal

· Registered
12,396 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

· Registered
12,396 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWVQ0NWgAACzfgAASUKWAGoRhEAo///6gMAD6loieiNTJG9SPUeo2p6gAaAimPUIBoGgAADQiYFT01NqY01GQyNAepkFwXscBCrAaeaZqmwsW1ui66M8mgSdNx/QFw7G+ovTHmZhzKlr7LjA7nXMOwqUH5I7cXKK28fe8Sg0wlX+kxS03ai2M80MgSlCBSyKqLCFYYBI3LvrBcmKiP1JBv7vCISF0pyN7nGI2cDgs7ritFAUXrA7I/JoE0EgCKZJR/xJYbGGOW2RUphXSTc8znMXoTJog/e9ZACAiB0SNYkAKgMkkJW+RFMB0FetuQ4mPrDsTsCTKIx4iqEf8XckU4UJBUNDVoA==

· Registered
312 Posts
I really wonder how much water comes through the rear apetures. Negligible I suspect as the chord that runs through pretty much fills the hole.

My theory is it comes through the deck access hatches. Not the seal between the lid and the rim as this has a neat rubber seal. I think its the seal between the rim and the deck - that is, the deck (or rim) warps ever-so-slightly creating long gaps between the screws (flat surface on warped surface). Every time the deck is awash, water goes straight in. Fix: unscrew rim, caulk it to the deck, screw fix it again.

I have only ever taken on 1.5L (maybe 2) of water once - punching through real lumpy conditions, wind and rain etc so haven't really bothered to fix the problem. 2 gallons - somethings wrong.

G

·
I've had no problems with water ingress on my outfitter ,I have it taken out solo/tandem, with and without bucket/dog. I mainly stick to the rivers and have only once been faced with large chop. I weigh 85kgs ,bucket around 30kg and dog 15kg. If you inspect closely enough it should be glaringly obviuos where the water is coming in! Broken seal on hatches,bung, hull damage,check slots where drive is situated, also locking cams for drives(take them out with an allen key and check for damage),check where the holes for rudder are situated (correct positioning?). I would probably fill with water and check leakage that way too! Or just take it back to the dealer and let them check it out.

Cheers Barrabeachy 8) 8) :wink: :wink:

· Registered
522 Posts
Barrabeachy said:
I've had no problems with water ingress on my outfitter ,I have it taken out solo/tandem, with and without bucket/dog. I mainly stick to the rivers and have only once been faced with large chop. I weigh 85kgs ,bucket around 30kg and dog 15kg. If you inspect closely enough it should be glaringly obviuos where the water is coming in! Broken seal on hatches,bung, hull damage,check slots where drive is situated, also locking cams for drives(take them out with an allen key and check for damage),check where the holes for rudder are situated (correct positioning?). I would probably fill with water and check leakage that way too! Or just take it back to the dealer and let them check it out.

Cheers Barrabeachy 8) 8) :wink: :wink:
Not so sure about filling the hull with water, that is an awful lot of water and with that at least a quite a few hundred kilos of weight... you could end up damaging the hull.

Hobie recommends filling the hull with air (e.g. air compressor, vacumn cleaner on blow) and then checking around the hull with soapy water.

I have a Sport and have found I take in a bit of water as well. :? Have done the air / soapy water test and found no leaks except the rudder control lines. If the boat is heavily loaded i.e. rudder control line holes are just above water surface the boat takes in a fair bit of water (about 1 - 3 litre or so) even though Hobie installs internal tubes to try minimise this. I suspect the rudder control line holes must submerge when I'm "flying" along with my Turbo fins :wink:

I've concluded the rudder line holes are the culprit so not a lot I can do about it except carry a pump to pump out the hull when I'm out and about for a long period or try to balance the load so the kayak is more nose heavy.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.