Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm planning on trying out a standard Hobie sail on my Outfitter, but am wondering how the main sheet would work if I had my standard milkcrate with rods and a net sticking up at the back?
All the Outfitter sailing rigs I can see on the various forums have a block at the stern for the main sheet.
Is there a trick?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I changed from an esky to a fish bag to avoid this problem but I do miss the storage. If you could fix your crate really securely to the kayak you could have the block on the back edge of the crate itself. A member here (Olddood) uses turnbuckles to mount his esky on the back, and then the sidekick mount is attached to the esky. If you're flying solo perhaps the crate could go up front?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Squidley,
I need a decent net that doesn't tangle every time it sees a hook!
I could probably leash the new net to an eye near the front seat. That would get rid of one tangle spot.
And I could easily change the angle of the rod tubes on the crate to stick the rods out at 45 degrees each side.
That would give me a decent clear patch above the crate.
Do you think that if I fitted some kind of a ring on the back of the crate it would do the job to keep the main sheet under control?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah that could work. When the sail changes sides because the wind is crossing from the back (gybing) the mainsheet can get a fair yank so I'd make sure your crate's held down securely. The sail might behave a little differently from the last bend in the rope being higher and further forward.

This guy has solved a similar issue on an AI with some kind of frame, possibly mounted in the moulded rod holders. The video's about his splash guard but you can see the frame behind his seat that lets him stack stuff high in the rear well without getting swiped by the mainsheet:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well spotted, thanks for that video!
He's integrated everything including the main sheet into his PVC frame.
Re. the rope higher and further forward .................. The only piccy of an Outfitter with sail is this one from the Hobie web site -

The Outfitter mast is mounted a lot further aft than on the singles and because of that the angle of the rope might be not too much different.
I think that Paddle Pedal Sail will loan me a sail for a week to try it out, so I can muck around with ways to keep my crate.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
JKB1 said:
Do you think that if I fitted some kind of a ring on the back of the crate it would do the job to keep the main sheet under control?
Mate I know nothing about sailing an Outfitter, but in regard your ring idea.

Why not trial a zip tie on the top edge back of your crate, but only pull it into a big loop and not tightened, and so give you a simple ring. If it works replace with a pulley for long term.

Or just feed the sheet though below the crate top so it's located by the plastic uprights?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Squidley said:
Yeah that could work. When the sail changes sides because the wind is crossing from the back (gybing) the mainsheet can get a fair yank so I'd make sure your crate's held down securely. The sail might behave a little differently from the last bend in the rope being higher and further forward.

This guy has solved a similar issue on an AI with some kind of frame, possibly mounted in the moulded rod holders. The video's about his splash guard but you can see the frame behind his seat that lets him stack stuff high in the rear well without getting swiped by the mainsheet:

thats the guy i was looking for to post in this thread but i couldn't find his youtube channel

thanks squidley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.