1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Fabulous Mat!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Matt, Thanks for sharing. Great video shots. The nose cone certainly makes a difference. I have fitted one to my AI but have not tested it yet as I have had a back problem.Hope to back on the water soon.
Cheers,
Terry.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
I just looked at again Mat (twice). Great adventure and great footage.

You were lucky to not fold the aka bars in that broach (begins at 3.20). At 3.30 the downwind aka is fully side on and completely submerged. I did a similar thing at Straddie in February and also got away with it, though only just, I fear (video coming).

Love your choice of music too. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Awesome, absolutely awesome!!! now have I got room for another boat...... a 16 footer....???

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
TheFishinMusician said:
You can't be booked for having that much fun. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx heaps Mark, Trev Rob Stu Mike and scruffy. .......I'd only spent 20 minutes in the waves to get this vision ....i thought it was better than expected. I'd also went west out to the outer islands spearfishing that day...got some different looking vision out there too.
Trev...as soon as you put the vid up PM me if you can remember.....would love to see your yak behave in waves too. My amas wont break.....no pins. Mingle is doing something with them that might be of interest to us all.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
matcoburn said:
Trev...as soon as you put the vid up PM me if you can remember.....would love to see your yak behave in waves too. My amas wont break.....no pins. Mingle is doing something with them that might be of interest to us all.
Matt, I was talking about the akas folding like a straw with high side loads, not the shear pins on the diagonal braces shearing. The aka bars are simply, not strong enough for severe side loadings, which is the case in a high speed broach. If it happens, you have a buried ama acting as a brake, and taking much of the weight of the whole AI, and the pressure of the broken wave still travelling at 20+ km/hr. What I have found is that the attention to steering inputs is hyper critical, with lightning fast (small) reactions to prevent a disaster. It is akin to F1 racing ... it can go horribly wrong in milli-seconds.

This is what I'm talkin' about...

This may well be the reason that some experienced AI/TI users (Red etc) furl the sail and peddle in through surf.

I will post that video (here I think is best, if you don't mind, and to save another thread).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Gee.....gotta get it on vid....otherwise it didnt happen!....lol......just joking.... Ive done the same Big Gee....you do curse yourself!

Trev.....Wow....cool....i see what you mean.....that T.I. should have been beached with speed. Looking at the conditions ......there was a significant longshore drift there on a steep beach. They where underpowerered in the crunch zone and the longshore drift turned the boat sideways to the wavefronts......wow the weight of two people and gear crunched that ama good and proper.....probably against the solid object....the steep sand bank.......

i wonder whether this damage could be done to a single without hitting the sand? (i will test it!)

Thanx trev.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
matcoburn said:
i wonder whether this damage could be done to a single without hitting the sand? (i will test it!)

Thanx trev.
Go right ahead Matt.....with your yak. I can't speak for Hobie, but my guess is, they were not designed for surf (but it is fun trying :) ). Decades ago Hobie built a surf catamaran, the Hobie 14', and it could take this sort of punishment ...it had massive rocker and regularly surfed considerable sized surf, even air time going out and cutting across big waves like a surfboard.

The AI is, I feel, not in the same category, and I fear that one of my (your) surf landings may end up with either a capsize, or a pitchpole and a broken mast, or aka bars folded like a straw.

But keep trying...the footage is amazing, you adrenalin freak :D . It is way more fun than anything on TV. :lol:

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
matcoburn said:
....................anything is better than TV Trevor.....but I will graciously take it as a compliment nonetheless!
It was meant to be a strong compliment (bad wording). I mean don't stop. I should have said "Any outdoor adventure is better then TV. Yours is tops."

(I am similarly afflicted). Love it....

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
matcoburn said:
Will do a circum nav of straddie with ya next year perhaps Trev
I'd be in that. Hang on....didn't I just say that an AI is not so good in the surf? (two dangerous bars to negotiate) :shock: How about paddling Mat? It's only 100 km (about 15 hours). :lol: Start training now.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Wow, thank you so much. As a new sailor and AI owner i can't believe what control over that boat you have. I would have thought the best way to launch through a break was with the mast flat along the deck and the amas folded back towards the hull minimising damage when the enviable happened. You also amazed me when you buried the nose and rather than flip the boat twisted sideways. I would have thought the break away pins would have snapped, are you using Hobie ones or something different? You have shown me what potential these boats have when in the hands of someone who can bring out their best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.