Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am looking at buying my first kayak in the next 6-8 weeks and have found that the 2 person kayaks do not have as much choice as other kayaks, and would appreciate some expert thoughts.

My use will be mainly fishing. I have not used a kayak before and have not fished in probably a decade but grew up on the WA coast with a dingy and bait fishing. Moving to Brissy shortly from the ACT and would like to hit up bass and bream and flatties in rivers, lakes and estuaries.

I have a young one I would like to get involved and interested, currently approaching 3, I would like him to have his own seat, and the ability to watch tablet comfortably while action not on. Dont really want to deal with capsizing although likely inevitable. I would be looking to use solo too. Want to learn to spin properly but also drop a bait or two.

The ones that stand out are;
  • Hobie Oasis
  • Hobie Compass
  • Feelfree Lure 2
  • Baysports pedal pro tandem

I feel like none of these are actually perfect and all have significant drawbacks, but also positives.

The Hobies;
  • More expensive
  • Seem more geared towards recreation rather than fishing use
  • Faster
  • Forward and reverse peddling
  • Paddles seem better than propeller

Lure 2;
  • Cheaper
  • Stable
  • Slower (some reviews say like trying to drag a barge through the water)
  • Overdrive propeller system seems to go forward and reverse
  • Some say single person use unbalanced with weight at rear

Baysports
  • Cheapest
  • Looks good (IMO)
  • Forward peddling only

Have I missed any big brands out there? Can the experienced among you throw your opinions?

Cheers

1 - 1 of 1 Posts