Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've* looked through the links and I can't really establish who has done what but if Richo Branson is parroting on about it then there must be something happening.

Again, noting that I'm not sure whether Labour or the Coalition is being mischievous here but in any case if someone else can have a read and make sense of it I'm sure the rest of us would appreciate it. The RecFishWest group has chimed in* on the sitation I see too so there is the relevant link to this forum! :)

Richo Branson Blog Link is here (Follow the links to ABC from there)

Its a shark!

* = Edits :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Can someone explain please how banning recreational fishing from these reefs, which only a handful of charter operators manage to fish reacreationally ( catch and release in the main part ) has helped the future of this area?
For many years I have dreamt of fishing there after seeing pics of monstrous beasts, and now this looks like it will remain just that. A dream.

I read Rob Oakeshot's explanation of his decision to support this bill, and all it mentions is how they have done a great thing by stopping oil exploration an mining in the area.

I cant see the link between mining exploration and recreational fishing. Why did recreational fishing have to be banned to stop mining exploration?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
PNG, the Solomon Islands and New Caledonia have economic zones which involve the coral sea. Their commercial fishing industries are massive, especially for tuna. Much of the fish is taken by foreign vessels that pay license fees to allow them to operate in their bits of the Coral Sea and these license fees make up substantial proportions of national GDP, especially for the Solomons. Compared to the take from the other countries, Australian charter operators' impact is negligible. I was listening to Parliament too and as I understand it this lockout affects only Aussies. If that's true then I don't think it's going to make much difference to the sustainability of fish stocks unless the other countries impose similar restrictions. Given the reliance of the other nations on money from commercial fishing I bet that our example will inspire the other countries in the region to fall over each other in their rush to lock out their own industries...not. So I think we've just kicked an own goal, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.