Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I was on the way back from the markets when I decided to swing past the shop at the tip. I go there every now and then and pick up something for around the yard. I've got quite a few pretty interesting things and it's always good for building supplies. Anyway, I walked in with no real need to buy anything except for " I have some time on my hands for the next few weeks so I need something to do." This normally results in some furniture or something that I'll fix up and make pretty.Then I saw this.

and I thought, that looks pretty interesting.

So I started poking it, and it opened up into this

Holy crap, "That's an old BSR Autochanger" I exclaimed.

I exchanged a single red bill with the toothless gent in fluro and took it home. I now owned a Philips Glidomatic Personal Music Studio from 1969.

AM Bands galore

Inputs- all 5 pin currently but these are going to be changing due to the fact I don't have an electric organ, a tape recorder or the want to do karaoke with my wife.

So I spent the afternoon cleaning it up and looking at the wiring and how things work. The tip automatically cut the plugs off everything before they sell it so I ran down to jaycar and bought a new plug to wire in. Plugged her in and away we went. The AM radio still works, the speakers are actually incredibly nice sounding. I found the one AM station with music on it, and Phil Collins was on. I thought of Ado. He loves Phil.

I kept playing around with the tuner and it stopped working. That's lame. Pulled a few things apart and found the culprit, it was on an old string pulley that hadn't been used for years and the string had wasted away to nothing and broke. Still working out how to fix the tuner now.

Test 2- Record Player- Powers up- starts to spin- jams when the changer arm comes over. All good- easy fix. It's just seized I think. Am stripping the grease out now and will regrease tommorow.

Test 3- Inputs- All of them work.

Test 4- Internal lighting. All crapped out. Way corroded. Will need to do the lot.

Pretty psyched about this little project now though. I figured there's a few nostalgic audiophiles around here that might be interested. If so I'll post up whenever I finish something.

Once the electronic and internals are fixed up I'll sand back and restain the cabinet itself.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
1969. Probably one of the first things it played was "One small step...".
and

Penny Arcade - Roy Orbison
The Real Thing - Russell Morris*
Ob-la-di, ob-la,da - The Beatles
Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones
Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head - B.J. Thomas/ Johnny Farnham*
Something/Come Together - The Beatles
He Ain't Heavy - The Hollies
One - Johnny Farnham*
Make Me An Island - Joe Dolan
Where Do You Go My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
Hair - The Cowsills
I Started A Joke - The Bee Gees*
My Sentimental Friend - Hermans Hermits
The Girl That I Love - Russell Morris*
Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
Aquarius - The 5th Dimension
Picking Up Pebbles - Matt Flinders*
In The Year 2525 - Zager & Evans
You're Everything - Don Lane*

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Digger said:
Does it have an antenna connection?

If it does, a length of auto wire plugged in should do wonders for your AM reception.
A coathanger in the shape of Australia works best.

Just be careful with the electronics, old valve amps can be lethal if you touch the wrong thing while switched on, also can get very hot and catch on fire, woods not good for that either. Make sure you clean it well and get rid of all the dust.
Is the turntable belt or idler drive?
You should replace the needle, shouldnt be to hard to find one, once you know what cartridge it is.
The tonearm has provably seen better days and wasnt great to begin with, so dont go buying expensive records to play on it, keep to the $3 bin at Vinneys.
Anyway I'm sure Gra will be eying this baby off, perhaps he might swap for one of his Phase Liniers.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Or maybe a camper trailer ?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ArWeTherYet said:
Is the turntable belt or idler drive?
You should replace the needle, shouldnt be to hard to find one, once you know what cartridge it is.
The tonearm has provably seen better days and wasnt great to begin with, so dont go buying expensive records to play on it, keep to the $3 bin at Vinneys.
Anyway I'm sure Gra will be eying this baby off, perhaps he might swap for one of his Phase Liniers.
It's an idler drive. The grease had turned to glue in the autochanger mechanism which was jamming the platter from spinning. I want to get the BSR turn table fixed up for the sake of originality but I will swap it out with something of a much better quality, given I want this to look pretty spiffy a Pro-Ject RM-1.3 or something might be in order. More than 80% of my vinyl collection is too nice to be played on something like this.

I had a lovely housemate who left with my turntable many moons ago and I've never replaced it. Going through my vinyls last night there's some stuff I don't even remember owning (clearly not the bloke who took the turntable though, he would never have owned the WASP discography :) ) and haven't listened to in years.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ArWeTherYet said:
Is it solid state? I thought it would of been tube amp. There's a done up Glidomatic on you tube, looks good......even one with a ipod connected :twisted:
If you didnt know theres a users guide for your BSR on Vinyl Engine and you should be able to get a stylus on ebay http://stores.ebay.com.au/CAROLES-NEEDL ... ub=9945644
What full range speakers has it?
I didn't look when I had the back open but everything I've seen online would suggest it's a solid state amp. I actually got my mp3 player working through it yesterday :)

Oh cheers for finding the manual, I had been looking for a free one with no avail.Vinyl engine looks like quite the resource.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I exchanged a single red bill with the toothless gent in fluro and took it home. I now owned a Philips Glidomatic Personal Music Studio from 1969.

So I spent the afternoon cleaning it up and looking at the wiring and how things work. The tip automatically cut the plugs off everything before they sell it so I ran down to jaycar and bought a new plug to wire in. Plugged her in and away we went. The AM radio still works, the speakers are actually incredibly nice sounding. I found the one AM station with music on it, and Phil Collins was on. I thought of Ado. He loves Phil.
So in '68 my dad left Vietnam but before leaving he bought a Kenwood component system (not a cabinet) and speakers at the PX and shipped it home. Those speakers still sound good today.
BTW I was born in '69.

Glideon.

PS Translate tip. Not familiar with the use.

G

·
Zed said:

So in '68 my dad left Vietnam but before leaving he bought a Kenwood component system (not a cabinet) and speakers at the PX and shipped it home. Those speakers still sound good today.
BTW I was born in '69.

Glideon.

PS Translate tip. Not familiar with the use.
Waste transfer station, landfill or rubbish dump. Not unusual to have a second hand store attached to them in Aus. They recycle and flog off some of the rubbish. One man's trash is another man's treasure theory.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good pickup. Will be a very nice and functional addition to any room. Tune into the AM and get your rage on.

In a similar vane I picked up a couple of LARGE brand-name freestanding speakers on side of road recently in front of shire mansion. Bit dusty and a couple of minor splits in woofer surrounds but nothing a touch of rubber cement couldn't fix. Cleaned them up, teamed with relatively cheap amp/receiver, some cheap australian cabinet style surrounds and chucked the 'lifestyle' 5.1 surround. The difference in sound quality is obvious.

·
Registered
867 Posts
went to the tip- chucked a Gra.
Thought you were dumping the body of a fellow forum member there for a bit. Thought it was pretty ballsy to post it! ;-) :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.