Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today truly was the first day of summer. Sunny and warm.
So the new pelican SIK was chucked in the back of the truck and taken to Bear lake.
No rod holders have yet been fitted so trolling was limited to the old rod under the leg and over the hips method.

The good news?

The curse of Bilbo was broken.

I landed about 8 or 9 pike before my lure was lost - I'm suprised the 10lb mono held out that long really.
So now I need a new MW72 and some 30lb fluoro or some wire.

All were "hammer handles" which is to say, under the legal size of 63cm. Biggest went about 55.

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is a beautiful Pike mate. I loved catching those back in Ontario. They are ferocious and don't mind being cannibalistic. I once caught a 32cm which was attacked by a much larger one while I was reeling it in. :twisted:

Any Musky around Alberta ways?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indiedog said:
Beautiful looking fish. You didn't say it directly, but I take it Bilbo has gone to bluer/greener pastures? Vale Bilbo the one shot wonder.
I think he is en route to anselmo. These are the first fish I've caught from a kayak since I took delivery of Bilbo back in Feburary or so.

I've never heard of muskies, I don't think we get them here. I know there are pike is this lake that won't fit through a 10" hole in the ice though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Junglefisher said:
indiedog said:
Beautiful looking fish. You didn't say it directly, but I take it Bilbo has gone to bluer/greener pastures? Vale Bilbo the one shot wonder.
I've never heard of muskies, I don't think we get them here. I know there are pike is this lake that won't fit through a 10" hole in the ice though.
They are the elusive relatives of the Northern Pike a.k.a. Pike. Often refereed to as muskie, or musky, they are actually called muskellunge ( ugly pike).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
salticrak said:
I chased a Muskie once, but she would have non of it. they reckon those pike will eat ducks and any hairy thing that lands in the water. Do they use poppers for em?
I've never heard of it but I was thinking of trying it as they hang out in real shallow, weedy areas. Even the MW got weed on it every few minutes. HB's in general are not popular here. Spoons or baits.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Muskie lures are generally giant in-line spinners with multiple blades.
After a long cast along a weed bed or shelf, upon retrieval to the boat, the angler always figure-eights (more like a 2m wide infinity sign.) the lure by moving the rod, with only about 3 or 4ft of line out. Pike and musky will often hit right at the boat while doing this. Tough to do on a yak, but then again, it's a yak and boat methods are out the window.

Good getting out JF! Funny as I was reading, in my mind I said nice hammer handles. All you that think pike (your saltwater ones) are smelly and slimy, meet their smellier slimier freshwater cousin:
Junglefisher said:
salticrak said:
I chased a Muskie once, but she would have non of it. they reckon those pike will eat ducks and any hairy thing that lands in the water. Do they use poppers for em?
I've never heard of it but I was thinking of trying it as they hang out in real shallow, weedy areas. Even the MW got weed on it every few minutes. HB's in general are not popular here. Spoons or baits.
Definitely. Baby ducks are often nabbed by pike and/or musky. Big mouse flies/poppers work well, too.

Musky on the fly is holy grail territory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.