Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Gold Coast Seaway and surrounds

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dodge 
G
#1 ·
Launched at around 5.50am from the little car park Dodge suggested, put out two lures rapala cd18 I think in red and and white and a halco in R15 and paddled across to and up the North Wall as far as I felt comfortable (the last bush) as the swell was quite large and southerly so the odd one or two were breaking at the end of the wall, paddled back across to the south wall and did this circuit twice for no result, the going was hard as the tide was heading out and the wind was south westerly so on the way in I was working against wind and tide, I then paddled toward wave break as gulls were working a school of fish, there was no surface action to see so I trolled past the edges of where the birds were and then threw slugs till I'd scared the fish and the birds off. I the tried the north wall of wavebreak for zip so I headed to the sandbanks in front of where I parked planning to drift a few sp's back up to wavebreak and then fish the southern wall of it, as the drift was quite fast I had to use quite large jig heads to get down to the bottom, the bites were fairly thick on the first and second pass and I boated and released two flathead in the 30-35cm bracket, I had a couple more touches but no hook ups on subsequent drifts and as I was getting tired I thought I'd get up to the south wall off wavebreak and duck in behind out of the wind and current and try fishing the corner as I thought there maybe a few fish waiting for things to drift by, I'd switched to an ecogear sx40 and after a bit of casting caught a pretty little cod (I think) the fish was gry/blue with blue spots and was around 20-25cm. That was my last fish eventhough I cast a little more and drifted an sp.
The water was crystal clear this morning you could see the bottom quite clearly in spots I'd guess visibility at a shade over 4m.
Prior to going I had read about the seaway on the kayak fishining in SE QLD site and they had warned of large washes/wakes from big boats, lucky I did because at one stage in the Seaway I only just managed to get around in time to take quite a large series of waves head on, the big boats really move through this area and around wavebreak. The fishing wasnt the best but this morning gave me a great opportunity to use the Prowler in average conditions, the kayak handled the chop and wind really well I paddled into it across it and against it and the stability surprised me, the rudder was invaluable today as it allowed me to go where I wanted with little effect from wind and current. Thanks for the information.

See less See more
#3 ·
John

Regret I didn't come over with the windy conditions I did the old assume trick and after looking at BoM Seaway observations thought you may have put the trip off, and had been keen to see the P13 and meet you.

Re the area from your launch point if you go across to the north side of the channel in front you generally get a quieter run from wave machines as they go round the south wall to pick up the yellow cardinal mark in the middle before doglegging north again along the beacons opposite the north wall.

You would have seen south west of Wavebreak some small mangroves on the middle banks that is also a good spot to dodge the traffic [to shallow,except in channels] and also not a bad area to fish for summer species.

Water needs a good flush out again to dirty up it's so clear at the moment although you did see a couple of fish today.

Maybe see you on another visit and will get a mobile number on that occasion

G
#4 ·
Hi Dodge yeah the weather and conditions werent great but I'd already arranged for the morning to be spare so I thought go anyway and you never catch fish without having a line in. As I was paddling back to the launch spot I was wishing someone else was there to feel the strain/pain because it was hard going, isnt it funny how things dont seem as hard if someone else is doing them too. It'd be great to catch up and get some local knowledge next time I get down, the phone number would have been a good idea I didnt think anyone would go as it was mid week. Hopefully it will rain and a bit of a storm would be good to, it'll help the rivers and close in structure no end up here.

#5 ·
Good post John,

I did the broadwater about 4 weeks ago in my perception swing with the wind pumping at 20-25 knots. I feel your pain brother, its a hard unforgiving slog. I also find it it quite weird paddling against wind and tide and having the feeling of not making any headway. I always need to find a landmark to gauge my progress. BTW I'm surprised there were no tailor around.

Tom

#6 ·
John check PMs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.