Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd definitely need fresh undies if you were in the car with this man. 0 -100 kph in 1.8 secs! And those drop -offs. :shock:

This one is a better action video (no interviews). Average speed of over 87 mph (141 km/h)(use HD):

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/watch- ... -642214524

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spottymac said:
I still like this one the best and it was on gravel.
Ari Vatanen 1988 Pikes Peak driving the Peugeot 405 T16.

Stu

Thanks ...that is much better footage with the POV and all racing footage. Some of the modern stuff is too full of interviews and advertising, when all we really want is the adrenalin stuff.

Looking at the speed of Ari's arms and feet movements ... bewildering. Shame he was killed.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SteveR said:
Skill with a motor is not all about speed

That is a well balanced statement. :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
kayakone said:
Shame he was killed.
Pretty sure Ari's still among the land of the living as a politician in Finland. Some real skillful driving of that 600HP Peugeot on gravel back then before the technology they use now!

Marty

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marty75 said:
kayakone said:
Shame he was killed.
Pretty sure Ari's still among the land of the living as a politician in Finland. Some real skillful driving of that 600HP Peugeot on gravel back then before the technology they use now!

Marty
I think you are correct Marty. Thought he was killed in NZ. He certainly had some big ones!

G

·
kayakone said:
I think you are correct Marty. Thought he was killed in NZ. He certainly had some big ones!
You may have been remembering NZ born Possum Bourne who died in NZ about 10 years ago while driving between competitive legs on an open to the public section of the track.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SteveR said:
kayakone said:
You may have been remembering NZ born Possum Bourne who died in NZ about 10 years ago while driving between competitive legs on an open to the public section of the track.
Yep. Thanks Marty...another senior's moment. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey kayakone, you had me going for a while.

I was wondering how on earth Ari was killed after dodging all those bullets when he was a rally driver. Thank goodness that you were wrong.

Pity about Possum. He seemed like a good guy from what little I saw of him. Bummer of a way to go too - in between stages.

Poor old Richard Burns crashing a helicopter too, huh?

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that link Steve.

I took my kids to see him near Brisbane in an ARC...would have been about 1995. He was tops then... very fast. I drove a rally car for four years, twenty years earlier, in the QRC and four ARC events, against Peter Brock, Ross Dunkerton, Colin Bond etc. Seeing it the first time for twenty years, I couldn't believe the speed, or the acceleration out of corners. Rallying had changed dramatically in that period.

There were many changes - four wheel drive, massive horsepower increases, and pace notes. When we rallied there were no pace notes and rear wheel drive only. The navigator used maps and called instructions such as "Turn right 200;" "turn right 100;" "turn right 50", using a 'Halda', a very accurate odometer. Often you couldn't see the turn, but set up the car to slide the opposite way to wash off the speed, solely on the navigator's instructions, then over-corrected the slide to point the right way into the corner. We were invincible, missing trees and drop-offs by millimetres. High speed reverse flicks were easy peasy, unless you got it wrong. I recall showing off to a carload of whitewater paddlers near the Nymboida one day, on a fairly narrow road. They nearly crapped themselves, and never asked me for a repeat.

In the rallies there were some spectacular prangs, but very few injuries due to the roll cages, the 4 or 6 point harnesses, and helmets. One such spectacular prang was an off road roll down a mountain side with only foot high pines (on a daylight stage), so no stopping the car as it kept slowly rolling and rolling. The driver told me later that it crossed the rally road many times, and each time it rolled the roll bar plates would punch into the floor a bit more, with the roof getting lower and lower. It finally came to rest way down the mountain, unbelievably on it's wheels, and pointing the right way on the route. So with barely 6" of space to look through where the windscreen had been, they completed the stage. What a sight! Even luckier, they didn't get picked up by the police driving it back to Brissie!

Hell of a way to spend a Saturday night. Actually some of the bigger events started at midday Sat, and didn't finish till 8 am Sunday morning. I used to get so knackered from the concentration and adrenalin overload that I would often sleep 16 hours straight. Fond memories indeed.

Back onto Possum, I noted Steve, that as fast as we thought he was, his best placing in a WRC event was 14th. There were plenty of faster drivers in Europe.

G

·
kayakone said:
Back onto Possum, I noted Steve, that as fast as we thought he was, his best placing in a WRC event was 14th. There were plenty of faster drivers in Europe.
You need to take into account when considering Possum's position that he did not have a huge factory team but did it with his own team. My favourite to watch was always Colin McCrae. You knew he was always on the limit. In fact, I lost all interest after he dropped out.

As a teenager I thought I would make a rally driver and used to push cheap second hand cars far too fast for the condition of the running gear. No skill; wishful thinking and stupidity make a volatile mix! However, we had a lot of fun on narrow clay roads through River Red Gums.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.