Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've enjoyed kayaking for a while and am thinking of organising a multi-day kayaking trip soon. This evidently needs more thought and planning than just strapping a yak on my car and seeking water, so here I am with some specific questions for those of you who've done overnight trips:

• Have you found a need for an anchor kit (or lock for that matter), or has it generally been sufficient enough to pull your yak up a bank a bit, and sleep relatively close to it?
  • I probably need a better back rest than the one I have. I have an older generation Viking Nemo (storage in front and rear) which has a flexible soft seat. Does anyone know if this or this will fit, or have any experience with those seats being ok on longer journeys?
  • My yak is at least 6 years old and the elastic on the side used to loop over the paddle when not in use is degrading. Any idea whether there's a specific type of marine elastic I'm meant to buy to replace it, or would I be ok just grabbing something from spotlight or bunnings? To that point, is something like this a better idea, or overkill?
  • I have a rolly thing which I use to get my yak from the car to the water. How often do you guys use one of these on an overnighter? I'd prefer not to take it for weight reasons but if you think it's necessary I shall.
  • Lastly, I have done multi-day hikes and will just use all of the same equipment for this endeavour. Given that water comes in to the yak around the storage areas, my UL dry bags will be sitting in this for hours at a time. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Thanks in advance

K

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi all,

I've enjoyed kayaking for a while and am thinking of organising a multi-day kayaking trip soon. This evidently needs more thought and planning than just strapping a yak on my car and seeking water, so here I am with some specific questions for those of you who've done overnight trips:

• Have you found a need for an anchor kit (or lock for that matter), or has it generally been sufficient enough to pull your yak up a bank a bit, and sleep relatively close to it?
  • I probably need a better back rest than the one I have. I have an older generation Viking Nemo (storage in front and rear) which has a flexible soft seat. Does anyone know if this or this will fit, or have any experience with those seats being ok on longer journeys?
  • My yak is at least 6 years old and the elastic on the side used to loop over the paddle when not in use is degrading. Any idea whether there's a specific type of marine elastic I'm meant to buy to replace it, or would I be ok just grabbing something from spotlight or bunnings? To that point, is something like this a better idea, or overkill?
  • I have a rolly thing which I use to get my yak from the car to the water. How often do you guys use one of these on an overnighter? I'd prefer not to take it for weight reasons but if you think it's necessary I shall.
  • Lastly, I have done multi-day hikes and will just use all of the same equipment for this endeavour. Given that water comes in to the yak around the storage areas, my UL dry bags will be sitting in this for hours at a time. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Thanks in advance

K
1/ id just tie off the anchor and use the anchor pulley system already on it, or if you haven't got one tie a rope the the carry handle
2/ The premium seat is the way to go, but another pad would be good as you will get a numb arse.
3/ Its bungee shock cord you want for that.
4/ the trolley is totally up to you, once its loaded will you drag it all the way out, if not only use it at your car.
5/ if you are worried about the dry bags, rubbish bin liners work good with your stuff in that in the dry bag

1 - 2 of 2 Posts