Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Fundas Australis Sideways (bass)

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jay 
G
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Would be a sweet ride, no doubt.

Transducer placement and cord work is pretty tidy mate, how much does she weigh naked with nothing on board?
Been interested in trying a 'Bare bones' kayak, sometimes with all the gadgets of the newer models / brands you forget how simple a trip really can be... And due to affordable price i am trying to con my Step Brother into purchasing something very similar ( As far as im concerned the more yaks trolling the depths of LBG the better, as long as they C&R :) ).

Bit tricky landing the greens on that?

Thanks for the perve...

G
#5 ·
paffoh said:
Would be a sweet ride, no doubt.

Transducer placement and cord work is pretty tidy mate, how much does she weigh naked with nothing on board?
Been interested in trying a 'Bare bones' kayak, sometimes with all the gadgets of the newer models / brands you forget how simple a trip really can be... And due to affordable price i am trying to con my Step Brother into purchasing something very similar ( As far as im concerned the more yaks trolling the depths of LBG the better, as long as they C&R :) ).

Bit tricky landing the greens on that?

Thanks for the perve...
Gday,

The boat weighs about 18 to 20kg I think, but if your going to buy one I'd get the barra instead of the bass, the barra has a built in keel.

The bass is a prick of a thing for going straight in, but I've fixed mine with a makeshift keel and no holes for tranny mount.

Landing larger fish in the yak can be entertaining for onlookers, if they are over 70cm or so I try to paddle to shore but thats not allways possible with a cod powering off in opposite direction, so most bigger fish are released in the water beside the yak.

Ant thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here since b4 I got my yak last year and thought it was time to come out of the closet. You're right about the convo here, it's much better and a hell of a lot more mellow.

Peril, it took me ages to crack the cod code here in canberra, hopefully I can help others avoid the pain of hundreds of fishless trips like I had to go thru.

Cheers, Allan

#6 ·
G'day Funda,

Welcome aboard mate. love your boat.

Aaaah, another camo yak, at last. :D and a sik as well. Just doesn't get any better than that.

#7 ·
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWVWeLEkAABnXgAASQIcgIRQAP+/+4DAAog1Hqm01J6ZJhkgNlPSDVPRoamBAAABjJiaYTTEwE0wNAeCNBwvM5tLPbYrSp652VGPR9q/CmSis1CEb7jXpZvZEyIwFfrghizC4S2OdtNq0PS7XhrwqHAd9A2N2sc3G5pkcYqJOnGCzo3O8DrBHdmQA4Ei/d4fI0le0jW8OkYjAxx7BEDkCFRiwajIgIlOamsP6nj60oQjYPxdyRThQkFWeLEk=

#8 ·
Hi alan , nice setup , am very interested in the transducer method of mounting , any chance of details of mounting, even though i fish a sot, still love the sit in and would not part with mine , i guess you are the same

G
#9 ·
Gday Barry,

I fixed the tranny bracket to a piece of light gauge angle made from sheet metal, then I just taped the angle to the yak with silver aircon tape.

The angle is about a foot long and acts as a keel, the yak is much nicer to paddle now too.

Can take a couple of pics if you want.

Cheers, Allan

#10 ·
Nice and simple setup Allan, met a bloke at the local dam with a Bass one time and he was wrapped in the boat and had owned it a couple of years and saw no need to change to another style of yak; rigged like yours but with no sounder

#11 ·
Alan , would love a couple of shots of the transducer , as i want to do the same thing with my espri, does the sounder work ok with the transducer in the rear?, i thought i might make a bracket so that i could slip it upwards out of the way when not in use , cheers alan

G
#12 ·
Pics as requested :wink:

Showing keel and silver tape

Trans in upright position

Trans in normal operating position.

I had to bend the trans bracket a little to fit the 90 degree metal angle and rivet it on, the tape is really sticky stuff just called "silver tape" it can be purchased from most air conditioning stores but is really expensive, probably that material type tape you can get from auto stores would be as good.

Its ugly I know but still sees more fish than any others yaks that've been with me, so I guess the fish dont mind it.

Cheers, Allan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.