Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure whether anyone watched Sixty Minutes last night.

There was a story on a Canadian guy who did a series of 'trades' exchanging one item for another. He started with one red paperclip and 14 trades later he traded up to a house. Sounds impossible right? Not so!

Along the way he 'upgraded' his trades from his humble paperclip to a pen, from there through another couple of trades to a camping stove, generator, snowmobile, walk on movie parts etc etc and finally up to a house.

Well I thought that if it worked for him, that it could also work for me and I thought I'd give it a go. :idea: A new Prowler Elite is on the cards for me for some serious offshore work this summer, and following the red paperclip guy's lead I thought I'd start by offering something of value to see what I can trade it for. The ultimate goal is to trade up over time to items that are of value to other members, and are things that they would want. This is a fun experiment as much as it is an effort to actually get into a new yak!

I COULD just have a garage sale or put my item onto ebay and see what I get for it, but I thought that this would be MUCH more fun.... :lol:

So here we go...drum roll please :roll:

My first trade 'offer' is a Srixon Staff Golf Bag (pic attached) - valued new at $299. This is a brand new bag and would make a keen golfer the envy of their foursome! If you're not a golfer, this would make a great gift for a golfing friend.

I'm looking to trade it for something that you have but no longer have a need for. This is a win-win situation as if YOU are interested in a flash new golf bag, and have something you no longer have use for and are willing to trade then everyone's a winner!

So go ahead, make me an offer! 8) Anything and everything will be considered. (Although no used pink G-Strings will be accepted Gatesy :roll: ). Please accompany your 'submission' with a photo and description of your item.

I really have no expectations and I'm interested to see what (if anything) you guys are willing to 'trade'. No money will change hands (however the trader will need to cover postage/courier of their item to me and I will cover courier costs onto the next person). All trades will be done in good faith and I will not offer an item unless it is in my possession.

Mods, if this needs to be moved to another area (or deleted entirely as it is a completely insane concept! :shock: ) then please do so. However this is merely an attempt by a frustrated kayakfisho to get a bigger and better craft at minimum expense, so it can't hurt to try hey?

If you would prefer to PM me then please do so, or alternatively send an email direct to me at mailto:[email protected]

Heee heee heee this is gonna be fun.

Cheers..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Good luck Dave. I read the story and it is definitely intriguing. A couple of points though:

* part of the success of the red paper clip to house exchange seems to be the global nature of the enterprise, which maximised the chances of him finding someone who valued what he had sufficiently for him to be able to tradeup;

* how will you be able to exchange for a new item, particularly one that has just hit the market? If the elite is as good as supposed, you will certainly have difficulty finding anyone to part with one in a trade advantageous to you.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peril said:
Good luck Dave. I read the story and it is definitely intriguing. A couple of points though:

* part of the success of the red paper clip to house exchange seems to be the global nature of the enterprise, which maximised the chances of him finding someone who valued what he had sufficiently for him to be able to tradeup;
I reckon the members of AKFF are a fairly worldly bunch and as we represent a fair part of Australia (geographically anyway) I think that this could work!

Peril said:
* how will you be able to exchange for a new item, particularly one that has just hit the market? If the elite is as good as supposed, you will certainly have difficulty finding anyone to part with one in a trade advantageous to you.
I'm anticipating this will take several months to get a 'trade' item that would be sufficient to attract a retailer. By that time hopefully the Elite would have been around for a while and the availability may not be so tight, which means that they may be more open to a trade that is advantageous to them.

(Something like a radio or magazine ad package valued at twice the wholesale cost of the yak may be seen as very attractive by a retailer.)

Anyway I live in hope! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got a very pretty stapler, lol. see pic below.....

Description- It's purple in colour and has sparkles throw it. It was bought in 2004 and is as new. It comes loaded with staples aswell :p .

Wanna trade??? :wink: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will trade you my Golf Clubs for your Gollf Bag. Oh hang on, then what do I wit........ bah forget :roll:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Davey G i love it, it sounds like a realy good idea
let us know how it goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts