Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

FreshWater species...

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Just wondering what are the general habits of Freshies, as in do they tend to remain in the 1 area or do they move around within their water systems?

#3 ·
G'day Ash, Not looking at a specific species just generally.My thinking is that freshies tend to remain in a particular area and if so then when they are caught then that area of water would remain barren of fish until another takes up residence.Probably stupid concept.
Of course you are right on the numerous sites that would give good description of species etc, i just hate getting aroung the internet :evil: and computers in general. BUT i will take the time to check out other sites. FishNet you reckon, i'll give that a go....

Cheers Mate

#4 ·
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

#5 ·
hey mate,

you will find that bass, redfin and smaller yellas/silvers will school.
all of these fish can also be found on their own too but out of all the freshies they are most likely to be found in schools.

larger yellas and murray cod will tend to hang around a particular snag.
thats why you will often hear of people pulling the same cod year after year from the same log or hole.

This can also be true of river bass, although migratory they do tend to hang in certain areas around snags and bankside cover.

so there you go, if i was fishing impoundments for bass and reddies I would purely rely on a sounders ability to find the schooled fish or work original creekbeds or points. where as if your fishing for yellas/cod then try to work steep rocky points, ledges, boulders and areas of submerged timber.

good luck with it all, im sure you will get the hang of the freshies :)

G
#6 ·
Freshwater species can be frustrating at first, but once you crack the code things do come a bit easier. :)

There is nothing more satisfying than actively fishing, casting to structure, working out the habits of your target species, and putting everything you have learned to task and trying to temp that resident big fish that you know is out there to strike.

Hard going for sure at times, but very satisfying when you get the results you set out to achieve :)

The best advice I could give someone looking to get started in the fresh, choose a single species to target first, and concentrate on that. You should start to get results pretty quickly and once your ready to take on the next challenge move on to the next species your looking to target......pretty soon you'll be getting good results over a range of species, and then can start to adapt and target your fishing methods according to the conditions on the day.

#8 ·
Ben , if i could fish lilke you and get the BASS that you do , mate i would fish fresh for the rest of my happy life, no bull sharks , no saltwater corrosion, quiet rivers, willows , ahhhh the thought of it makes me feel weak :D :D

#9 ·
#11 ·
well detailed response Dallas/Ben, and exactly what i was after.

great advice on starting with 1 targeted species rather than aiming to catch numerous.Although i have caught reddies in my youth (smallish) i will begin my FreshWater challenge with a RedFin and progress from there.A nice Trout will be my trophy fish though.

found a great site showing fishing Reports throughout Vic Lakes/Rivers, looks bloody informative :) :) :)

dont think you could take the Saltie-Dog outta me, But a little freshwater YakFishing definietly pulls at me 'ol heartstrings ...

Thanks for ya help fellas

Tony.

G
#12 ·
redphoenix said:
SMURFSMUGGLA said:
My thinking is that freshies tend to remain in a particular area and if so then when they are caught then that area of water would remain barren of fish until another takes up residence.
I think that's pretty much bang on for the big predators (Murray Cod) - Funda might be able to comment here.

I have a feeling that other species (trout, yellowbelly) might be wanderers, and that the tiny natives (galaxias and so on) are also weed-hoggers.

I know redfin wander around a LOT in schools - at least the small ones. Not sure about the biggies yet.

Red.
A lot depends on the type of water and structure available to the fish, big dams, or bigger pools in rivers to skinny little creeks and then the type of snags they like to hang around.

An area I fish occasionally is a series of small pools with a lot of mid stream rocks and boulders without very much timber, in these spots there seems to be a bit of competition for a snag.

Another area I fish has slow flowing larger pools with a few large timber snags and steep banks with occasional rocky areas, I've caught big cod off all submerged trees in this area as well as heaps of small to medium sized fish, sometimes I've caught 3 or 4 off the same snag in one session.

I just dont believe the 1 fish per pool/snag furphy, in my experience with cod the only golden rule is "if it looks fishy it probably is" and just because you dont catch one there today doesnt mean it barren.

Just a few of my thoughts on the subject, but the more one thinks about it the more complex it can become, you could write an encyclopedia and still not cover all aspects of what goes on under there.

Cheers, Allan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.