Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
if i hook em i cut the line when i see what it is, i was quite new to yaking & was happy to be pulling up some weight but when they get to the surface they start twisting up the line on this occasion having i reckon 1m of eel wrapped tight tangled in line around my rod caused an awkward stale mate it trapped itself solid so it could not free itself & i wasnt going to get my fingers anywhere near it.

Smigel

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWYSCRJQAABFTgEAQUIUAgD/v3qAgAIgamp5R+oj1ADI00Gp6I01PU1Dam1AeRyrxUJPwO0Lp13bnsikc6escsJcVErBhBCp6F6V5QBh9izswvZVnvOrqNmRKZyy5I/guNPInSbRAYFVzxwWoe2BihVgwPs6HL7xBrK0sBTEypuUxS7CY6F3JFOFCQhIJElA=

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
<groan>
I think I just got e-salmonella, Red.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
EPAC critter:
S of San Diego, W of Ensenada.

G

·
smigel said:
if i hook em i cut the line when i see what it is, i was quite new to yaking & was happy to be pulling up some weight but when they get to the surface they start twisting up the line on this occasion having i reckon 1m of eel wrapped tight tangled in line around my rod caused an awkward stale mate it trapped itself solid so it could not free itself & i wasnt going to get my fingers anywhere near it.

Smigel
As you discovered, try to deal with small or medium ones out of the water and they'll just twist themselves up you line. The best approach seems to be to cut as close as you dare while they are in the water. Its faster and you don't seem to lose any more trace that you would pulling them out of the water.

The one as thick as the top of a leg I saw pulled out of the water then released sadly turned up on the shore dead the next day. The guy who did it enjoyed the battle using handline but since amended his Eel chasing ways when he found a second one died in the same circumstances. He now lets Eels exist in peace other than enjoying enticing them out of cover with fish scraps.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If they are in season and legal they are well worth the effort.
Not sure about catching them in a yak though, maybe straight into a hessian bag and cut the line?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Bertros said:
Do you raise/eat them Con, or do they just fancy the neighbourhood?
They just congregate there at certain times of the year. The section they're in is connected to a waterway and the higher level is where any run-off from our paddock enters the waterway, they seem to try get upstream (into the end of the paddock) but can't past this structure (fortunately for them)

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Last year, after a friends father's heard about them, they came out with a net and scooped up a few to take home and eat. Some sort of yellowey, stewey, curry type dish apparently.....couldn't bring myself to eat them after they've come out of that stinky water! This is a drainage culvert that goes under a road.

G

·
BrendoM said:
So you can actually eat them? I have heard you could, but didn't know whether to believe it.
From the link under the quote I used above.

The Japanese grill them, the Dutch smoke them, while the English pack them into little pots of jelly or bake them in fragrant pies
I've eaten Eel Sushi - delicious!

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
"It swims and can slide,
All Australia wide,
Delicious with winey,
But picking it up, so slimey."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.