Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the day off yesterday and went fishing up at Fishing Creek up past Yeppoon.This place is yak heaven with with at the moment clean water in the shallow gutters and sandbars everywhere at the mouth.
Wandered along with the 5wt down towards the ocean before encountering a gutter too deep to wade so waited for the tide which turned soon after arriving.Having seen a "small" threadfin of 2ft long caught back up the bank i was pretty keen.
Not much happened til about a quarter tide in when a school of small queenfish moved in to the gutter i was in,after which two hours of mayhem followed with missed strikes and follows.The end result was 8 fish for me (all released) and two for my mate who was lucky enough to score a 64cm dusky flathead which took the spoon he was throwing right at his feet.
All in all a great morning and a spot ill be returning to if i can get the boss to fly my new yak up to Yeppoon next time im back up here

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Nice one Dave. Land-based fishing is very enjoyable if you manage to get onto some fish. That one-with-nature experience is great

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Nice experience Dave, which fly was working; an old mate now moved to NZ has taken up fly fishing and will ask me for sure, so better have an answer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
richo
caught a couple on a glass minnow type before switching to a No 4 size gurgler/popper in white.getting a strike was just a matter of casting into the current eddy and stripping as fast as i could back to the sandbar.good fun espec when they chase it almost to your feet.todays weather up here is even better with a light NE .As usual forgot to take camera with me but will post a pic of whats left of the fly if you want.

·
Registered
240 Posts
bloody hell that sounds like fishing heaven lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It is a great little spot, just hope the crocs spotted migrating up the coast lately don't think the same thing.

My mate was there yesterday in his yak till a storm blew in a bit before lunch. Down closer to the mouth though. He saw some feeding trevally - had follows to the yak but couldn't convince them to bite (on a small white gillies metal slug)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts