Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWQhXzSkAAB1fgAAQUAGAChAhWBo/7//gMACmYap+iU8pkYnoymQGnkmaDVPU9NIyADQDQABqeUmU9Q02EhiGjTR6RexBBJbKKFSEIOnoFdf7/k2ySwYM+muDerpO93CMRARYoiE5Ww0tdcRMildTMNc+eWU21btJvd+zf2V+3SiNt4oqxiJvVyQmDs/QWdI8HboPL7W6/WiyBYSMCTDiqYIu9S5M2PXKtAqOEjpVrGiaGphfcoymiCGBebTCvYTni+yIGjCQgubSWhB+LuSKcKEgEK+aUg==

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
there is a planned protest for the Donnybrook area with the proposed green zone going right across the
Passage resulting in the closure of two camping areas on Bribie at Mission Point and Limestone.A submission was put
forward by Parks and Wildlife to stop it at the western edge of the channel which would allow boats
to navigate through and shoreline campers and their children to at least fish off the bank.this has been
rejected by EPA,the goss is the local state member who is all for it doesnt even know where it is and the EPA
rep didnt either.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Proposed Protest date for Donnybrook/Mission Point in the Pumicestone Passage at this stage will be
on Sunday 24th February with boats from Caloundra and Bribie/Bongaree meeting at the
Mission Point camping ground at 10am.Will post confirmation asap.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just a reminder to those who want to have a say about the Zoning changes.the deadline
is this FRIDAY MARCH 7th to get your responses in to the EPA

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
mate
from what i heard the spin doctors are responsible for most of that.word is that our local member here
was very vocal in her suppport yet didnt know where the actual green zones were going.
the main point of the argument up here is its ok to have the zones its just that they arent going to be put
where theyre really needed.Now we hear that a desalination plant is mooted for out off Bribie as well as
the marina project in the Caboolture River mouth.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How does anyone expect the general public to make submissions based upon informed, _real_ scientific evidence? Of course people are going to say "protect more than 15%!" Because that's the crap that the minority groups pump out there. These green zones will do absolutely nothing to protect anything. I'm still lost as to work out who is benefiting from these moves. Industrial ollutants will continue to be pumped into the bay, boats will still be able to kill just as many dugongs, turtles, etc., erosion will continue to clog the bay up and more mangrove habitat will be destroyed just so Mr & Mrs Highincome can have their bay views. It's one thing for the general public to be ignorant in these matters but for the people making the criticial decisions about these matters to also remain ignorant of the facts, makes me sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
gday china
from what Ive heard a lot of people on Bribie and across the passage were pretty "pissed off"
,most are pensioner or retired people who go fishing every day for whiting or flatties and the fact that
they would have to use one rod only really got a few hackles raised.that coupled with the fact the passage was being zoned yellow yet the area round the Pin was relatively untouched by the zoning changes also stirred the locals up as it one of the few areas fishable in a "blow" up this way.
Now we get word that a desalination plant is mooted for this area then you start to wonder if trade-offs and back room deals
are being done to get these projects through.
the fact is more people fish now than 20 years ago and this coupled with silting/runoff will always mean less fish caught
per person.
closing off areas to fishing near Mission Pt but leaving areas open like around Golden Beach in the passage because there is developement in the pipeline seems a bit hypocritical to me.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Okey dokey, has anyone heard anything more out of the EPA on this one???? I've not heard so much as a bleat or a whisper.

The current Moreton Bay marine park status is due to run out on the 1st September this year. Does this mean that if new legislation isn't in place by the 1st September then the 2nd would/could be a free for all until the new legislation is in place? The EPA are cutting things a bit fine with almost a month to go until the deadline if this is the case!

If it does lapse, I wonder what the legal implications of getting it reinstated are? Are there extra hoops to jump through?

Interested in your collective thoughts :?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I received a pamphlet a couple of weeks ago thanking me for my response but no word.
Heard a rumour it may be at least til the end of year before anythings decided.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
This is the sign that greeted us at yesterdays Snapper fish here in W.A, this is the main Snapper grounds here in Perth,,it might be a good thing as they spawn at the time of year but it can be hard to keep on top of changes sometimes,,case in point,, an old guy rocked up and said "are they catching any crabs at the moment, i would not mind getting a feed " i replied Crabbings banned in Cockburn Sound, he never knew.

Anyway heres the sign maybe the South Ozzie boys will see similar signs around Whyalla in the future .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
bushwoodboy said:
yakfly said:
I received a pamphlet a couple of weeks ago thanking me for my response but no word.
Same here just a pamphlet no other word.
Cheers Mal
A pamphlet made it all the way to SA. Seems like a huge waste of recources to me, an email would have sufficed.

Shorty: We already have state-wide snapper closures in SA and it is likely that we will see more restricted access in the future. Fishnut mentioned something interesting though... Our snapper closure is too late. Well done lads :roll:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Now we find out in the local paper that Bribie is on the shortlist for a desalination plant,surprise surprise.
That plus work will commence soon on the new marina development in the Caboolture River.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just heard on the radio that Moreton Shire Council knocked back the proposed marina developement on the
Caboolture River because of environmental concerns.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hmm they're taking a good deal of commercial fishing out of your urban waterways and you're still complaining??
It seems to me they are hoping to continue rec fishing in the area in the future, the loss of a spot or two is well worth that in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Im not complaining about the phasing out of pro netting in our area.when the rezoning consultation
process took place the EPA rep at the meeting I attended couldnt give me an answer as to why the lower reaches and mouth of the Caboolture river
was not placed under some sort of protection,shortly after the QLD govt announced there would be a massive marina
and industrial development on that river.
Rec fishing has not exactly had the squeaky clean history either with stories of massive bags of fish taken for the sake of sport in the
past.
Common sense which seems to have been applied by the local Council has to be used when deciding where and when protective zones
are going and what needs to be protected.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
dishley said:
Hmm they're taking a good deal of commercial fishing out of your urban waterways and you're still complaining??
It seems to me they are hoping to continue rec fishing in the area in the future, the loss of a spot or two is well worth that in my opinion.
Dishly if only that was the case......and it isnt. The major comercial fishermen in the bay belong to a good lobby group and were able to nogotiate to have as less impact on there fisheries as possible. Most of the no trawling zones are in areas where it is impossible to trawl any way. They were also able to sell of, to the government, old licences that werent viable......but hey it looks good on paper and would get the government a few green votes.

yakfly said:
Just heard on the radio that Moreton Shire Council knocked back the proposed marina developement on the
Caboolture River because of environmental concerns.
Good. The western side of the bay is way over developed now. They really need to fix up storm water run off and sewage treatment, before they allow any more development .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Paul
the application was in 2 parts,the other for a large industrial precinct will still go ahead subject to meeting
further conditions.
with regard to licence buyout,a lot of the pros actually using their licences who were prepared to take "redundancy"
for want of a better word missed out and it was the once a year blokes or guys not even working full time who got the
dough.
as you said mate the government needs to get off its arse and start fining developers and companies responsible for the
[email protected] that ends up in the drains,creeks,rivers etc.its no use having a protection zone over an area such as weed or seagrass
bed that ends up covered in silt from runoff.
No estuary or freshwater catchment from Redlands to Pumicestone Passage achieved a grading higher than a B in the recent
healthy waterways report for SE Qld this year so theres a lot more to be done than just closing off an area out in Moreton Bay

·
Registered
1 Posts
When it comes down to it, I believe a ruling from the personnel policing the regions will be required. To go to the creek fishing grounds, a former akffer wished to paddle from his residence across the existing green environment of Commbabah Creek. I suggested calling the GC EPA district office to get a ruling because he could be considered to be fishing with all the gear rigged on board. To prevent any risk, he was ordered to demount the reels from the rods while passing the green zone and rerig once outside of the region. fishingverge

21 - 40 of 40 Posts