Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing bans in 15% of Moreton Bay

Commercial fishing will be banned in nearly 15 per cent of Moreton Bay under the Queensland government's plans to preserve the area for future use.

Premier Anna Bligh launched a draft conservation plan for the bay, which covers the wider Brisbane area.

"This is about looking after fishing well into the future and making sure for generations to come there are fish there for all of us to catch and for those of us, like me, who like eating seafood, fish out there for many years to come for us to eat," she told reporters at Shorncliffe on Brisbane's bayside.

"We can't have a fishing industry if we don't protect the sensitive breeding habitat of this bay and in order to do that we need more green zones."

Currently only 0.5 per cent of Moreton Bay is covered by green zones but that will lift to nearly 15 per cent of the 350,000 hectare bay under the draft plan.

The state government has estimated the changes will hurt the $24 million-a-year local fishing industry by up to $4 million a year.

In response, it proposes establishing a $14 million adjustment package to buy out commercial fishing licences over time.

Ms Bligh downplayed the impact of the plan on recreational fishers.

"For those people who like to throw in a line off a jetty anywhere in Moreton Bay, you'll be able to do that now and into the future," she said.
UPDATE!!!
I thought I'd add this little snippet that I've taken from the fishing report at http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/vi ... php?t=2469. The links here let you submit your response online so you don't even have to do it via snail mail. I sincerley hope that everyone effected by this zoning plan will consider putting a submission in as the proposal is farcical at best.
Whilst the weather gods are frowning upon us, it would be a good time to put in a submission in protest to the proposed closures of many popular areas in the Moreton Bay Marine Park. All you have to do is to write about how the closures will affect your fishing and possibly your livelihood, especially if you own any business in proximity to, or on the major routes to ramps where anglers buy supplies, food or fuel. There is a multitude of ways in which these closures will affect a broad array of anglers and associated others and this is what you have to let the EPA (Environment Protection Authority) know. You can phone 1800 105 789 or email [email protected] to request a copy of the submission form and draft zoning plan. You can also visit http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/moretonbay for more info. There are some very silly things being done including closing one large area in the paddock out from Mud Island, yet allowing millions of tonnes of sand and mud to be dredged adjacent to it to fill in a perfectly healthy estuarine system near the airport to make a new runway. Funny how fishermen are always the ones copping the rough end of the pineapple. If you don't like being kept away from your favorite spots due to the wind, imagine how annoyed you will be in millpond conditions when you can't fish them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just revieved this email...

"The Moreton Bay Marine Park Draft Zoning Plan was released today for public comment.
As you have expressed an interest in the zoning plan review, you are invited to provide a formal submission on the draft zoning plan.
To view the draft zoning plan, please visit http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/moretonbay where you may also complete the online submission form.
To request a printed submission form please email this address or call 1800 105 789 (freecall).
The closing date for the submissions is 5pm on 7 March 2008. All formal submissions will be considered when the final zoning plan is prepared.
For more information, please visit http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/moretonbay; phone 1800 105 789 or email the Moreton Bay Marine Park review team at this email address.

Thank you.

MARINE PLANNING - MORETON BAY MARINE PARK ZONING PLAN REVIEW
PO Box 15155 CITY EAST QLD 4002 Telephone 1800 105 789 Facsimile (07) 3227 7237
Email: [email protected] Web: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/moretonbay"

By the way be sure to check out this map

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_a ... plan_1.pdf

cheers

Mick

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
OH MY GOD!!!

That's all of the Pumicestone passage and all of Bramble Bay, Hays Inlet, is either going to be a green zone ( no fishing) or a conservation zone ( one rigged fishing rod per person).....Bloody Hell! :(

Got to start writing more nasty letters.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWXeH2XQAAClfgAAQUOeAAgEhEAo/7/+wMADmGImNKanqMmgxqMJ4iDQpBkYIDTBDJpiAaaTRGp5NNT1THqmJk2gaOkCR10Fou0W20C/mqM10Rg/VcJt2fWrpdzA4USb/VZpq/I42xbrZzOFhArg0qvHIjLHyMWdbM0IBKH9ykuB5EWjuIb9UkPCjfFOuAhLPWo68CQ7xJ/qZrPjyOddqPAyT0mpVpgbCHZJpt4VWCP0jDKTldxZsXvcHOuXEMUeCSI79gEGC0MFYfGaUhP3rOwrCQjp0zsbBTjglCBKlsBe6rdTTnuypS0GxUvRqJqRfDm4CHwB1IuIPW8ZxWfi7kinChIO8Psug

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Anyone got any of the maps of the affected areas? I have seen the origional proposals - but would like to see the new maps. I notice Bribie does not appear to be included from the news coverage. :D

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
redphoenix said:
ar-we-ther-yet said:
( one rigged fishing rod per person)
For the conservation zones, I might be wrong, but it looks like one rigged 'casting/bait' rod, and a two trolling rods are allowed, for a total of three rigged rods.

Not absolutely clear though from the key. I'd have to look at the detailed descriptions.

Red.
Yes red very hard to work out but I'm reading the same as you now......The only thing that puzzles me is what do you consider a trolling rod? I guess as long as your not anchored up you can call the two rods your not touching to be trolling rigs. :?

Hey Phoenix
Hard yakkin has the link to the map at the bottom of his post

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Local rumours were that the conservation zone idea was to get rid of Jetskis out of the passage
but from the plan key it doesnt appear that way.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
redphoenix said:
Yeah, and where do metal slugs come in?

From the feel of it, they're trying to stop a couple of blokes making a boat look like an echidna with lots of baited rods out, so my guess is that one SP/bait and two lures (of whatever type) should be ok. They might even be ok with three SPs if you want to go down that path.

When it comes to the crunch a ruling will have to be obtained from the officers policing the areas I feel.

A former akffer wanted to paddle from home across the existing green habitat of Commbabah Creek to reach the creek fishing grounds.

I pointed out he could be deemed to be fishing by having all the gear rigged on board and suggested a phone call to the GC EPA district office to get a ruling.

He was told while traversing the green zone to demount the reels from rods, and re rig once clear of the area to avoid any risk...and the reverse on coming home

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Just looking over the "draft map" it doesn't look too bad for me. They have changed it from the original and doesn't cover any of the best spots around Redcliffe......thank god!...must of been all those nasty letters I sent off. :lol:

Looks to me like the ones who will be affected the most are the commercial fisher men. They have pretty well taken away a huge slab of the long liners and prawning grounds and just left the desert in the middle of the bay. I know we all love to hate the commercial fisher men, but they families and mortgages to pay to, and lots of them have been doing it for generations......no more cheap prawns.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If the proposed areas go ahead it will not effect the area we fish down roys road (the narrows). the area around tripcony bight has been a green zone for around 10 years so no change there

Lee

·
Registered
14,293 Posts

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWdZCyzgAABFfgAAQQOUAEAAiEAA/7f/gIABoRTyanqGQY1GJoAGqegTT1PRNAA0MhihJOHI/K8jBT6EJb1BivW6rW2hCJTl6zHO9Y8IgEHJkrJiuTpNjjTsl3XiihZ4+h/FL7WIgeayEDY2ZwZEgkDN9WoCR8hWIW3G9xfi7kinChIayFlnA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Were take and size limits examined before the decision was made to close areas? Were there any studies made to access the actual health of the fish stocks in the area?

We are faced with similar closures in California over the next few years. Some of the best kayak fishing spots in Central California were closed last year. The fight for Southern California waters is just about to begin and were are hoping to keep our prime fishing grounds open.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Even in America, Doug???......dont tell me its true, isnt it written in the constitution somewhere. The right to bear arms and go fishing where ever you damn well please. :?

No science. All to do with looking green, because that seems to be the new black at the moment.

Are you guys able to stop the closures by protesting? or do they just take what they want, and nothing much you can do about it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you look at the Caboolture River mouth youll see its not affected by the new zones.There is a planned marina
and industrial precinct that has been fast tracked by the government as one of its "smart state" projects.If it
goes ahead then dredging the bay may result which sort of makes a mockery of the whole idea of protecting the
bay
heres the address of article in question
http://www.questnews.com.au/article/200 ... _news.html

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yakfly said:
If you look at the Caboolture River mouth youll see its not affected by the new zones.There is a planned marina
and industrial precinct that has been fast tracked by the government as one of its "smart state" projects.If it
goes ahead then dredging the bay may result which sort of makes a mockery of the whole idea of protecting the
bay
What a fricking joke! If it didn't have such serious consequences, the mockery that minority groups can make of both science and a democtratic society would be funny.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,
There's an information site setup by recreational fishers to try and counter the EPA green zone shutouts.

I dont know if I'm out of line putting it up here but here it is http://www.saveourbay.org.au

There's also a rally on the 10th of Feb in Brisbane River opposite Newstead House.
The more the merrier. Its a chance to have your say on the Proposed Green Zones.

Cheers
Stue

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Qld Boat Rally on the 10th was attended by about 50 boats of all sizes and types. A good turnout.

People should get their EPA proposal submissions in to the EPA in as soon as possible. Read the EPA proposal and check out the zoning for yourselves. You can do it all on line on the Qld EPA web site. You will be surprised at how far reaching the proposal is and how it will affect your fishing spots.

The EPA proposal wont make sure Moreton Bay is there for future generations as per the media releases and propaganda. It wont stop the bay from being slowly destroyed by pollution and wetland destruction not to mention the BAC ripping the sand for the new runway out of the middle of the bay (this will cause immeasurable damage to the bay).

It will stop you from fishing in your favourite spots though. Remember yellow Zones can ony be fished with one line per person with one hook. Green zones are NO FISHING but you can drive a boat, ski-boat or jet ski through it at high speed and rip up the sea bed with your anchor.
The DPI&F are doing a great job of managing the fishery. They should be allowed to continue.
Food for thought.
Cheers
Stue

1 - 20 of 40 Posts