Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Got this little fellow at Scarby today. It was my only catch . :(

Flathead shaped head, but much thicker and bumpy, with spines on the head. Ovoid shaped pectoral fins. Looked nasty. Not a stonefish is it? I think their body is much fatter.

P1000815.JPG

P1000816.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks like a Stargazer. Have caught then in the Pine River as well as Bribie passage.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think so Pete. I have caught several stargazers while fishing surf gutters for tailor. They have much more head to body length, a much fatter head, and did not have any spines on the head.

thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lapse said:
Hey Trev,
No idea what it is, looks similar to a stone fish though.
Think I would have exchanged pleasantries, but not invited it into the kayak with me.
Me too, Lapse...

Trev... did it have thirteen dorsal spines? I believe that's the number in the stone-fish dorsal.

Doesn't look like the Mythical Monster I've heard so much about recently. :twisted:

Cheers, Jimbo

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think it's a bullrout...sort of related to a stone fish and just as nasty...

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Don't think bull rout have such a flat head although I can't see it's head properly in thAt shot. I didn't think stone fish had flat heads either.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Had a chuckle at the colour of the plastic. Lure manufacturers go to great lengths to churn out all sorts of blingy hard bodies to attract us fisherman but a plain old white sp catches them just as good.

I had a gold bomber once which ended up looking like that sp before it clicked that, in my head, I was fishing with a gold bomber.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There are apparently 20 differnt types of stargazer in australia, could be one of them. I still think you bought a monk fish from the shops and took it on the yak with you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
G'day Trev,

I would sugget it is some kind of scorpionfish. But if you ve got any better pic or if you tell me what the mouth/lips/ teeth were like, I would be able to give you a better diagnosis of this nasty bugger
Cheers

Boris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.