Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Its been a while since my last posts, my first post and one about my trailer set up, but I finally got the Kayaks out! We intended on testing the out on Wivenhoe dam, at a spot I have fished at since I was a boy, but had some issues (the main reason for the post and will explain soon), so ended up going to the upper reaches of the Bremer River. The did fine, still have to get use to paddling, I noticed they would start to veer to either side if got to speed though and would take a lot to get them to track straight again. Not sure if its me just over compensating on one side or something else.

Anyway, on to the question, as I said we intended going to Wivehoe, this area I have fished for around 20 years, I have seen kayaks go in here, as its a good spot, just of the main road, a short walk to the water, and easily able to get aboard and go, so I figured this would be perfect, I have even run RC boats, and float planes here. I decided to ring the Wivenhoe management just to ask about permits, I knew I needed fishing permits but wanted to ask if kayaks would fit into needing a boat permit, the lady told me no I dont need one but asked where I intended to launch, I told them the spot, and she said we cant launch there....... I asked why this was, as I have seen countless others do it (even some who I have spoken to, had told me of this forum) and she said there are only 2 launching sites for all water vehicles and that includes canoes and kayaks that are public, and you must have permission to launch from the private ones. She explained the private ones, the sailing club etc, which I knew of, but she then explained the public ones, and stated that they are the only areas to launch from, I was a little shocked and after reconfirming with her manager that where I wanted to launch is public park area and fishable, it is not launchable for water vehicles. I accepted this, and decided to leave it until I could ask people on here if they have heard of or knew this and decided to test out in closer area. So has anyone heard of or knew of this?

And another question, I want our next trip to be salt water, to chase bream and flathead, is there any suggestions on where a good calm place for beginner yakkers to go say from Redcliff, down to the Pin?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi exile182 . I can't offer you any suggestion on the locations mentioned but if I may suggest that you try not to dig the paddles too much , lessening the entry angle helps to keep it straight .
Put some weight back and it will spin easily to change direction in a hurry . The dragonfly is short, fat, tough and lovable .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sergio, I had little weight in the front and most of it in the back, mostly just empty coolers and rods. Ill try the paddle thing, and experiment with weights. They are a great kayaks, very smooth on the water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry exile182 , my bad choice of words . I meant to throw your weight backwards as you change direction , not put weight in the back . Going out now as a matter of fact .
Good luck with them .

·
Banned
3,779 Posts
Wivenhoe has 5 launching points and all these spots will get you into water that you are permitted to fish. However some of the 5 you need to join an additional club to access these areas.

1. Logans Inlet, this is a public launch area. Fishing near by - Logan's Inlet, the old Brisbane River channel, one tree, the horse paddock,one tree
2. Hamons Cove. this is a public launch area. Fishing near by,Hamon cove, the old Brisbane River channel, really the midde section of the dam
3. Kippers Creek rest area, not a boat launch area but a suitable bank to the waters edge. Fishing near by, Kippers Creek, Billies Bay
4. The Brisbane Valley Yatch Club, a pivate leased area, membership I think is 85 a year, Fishing near by, Hayes inlet, Billies Bay, Platypus Cliffs, the horse paddock, the buoy line, brads point, one tree the list goes on....
5. The Grand Wivenhoe Fishing Club, a private leased area, membership $50 manybe, works on short term key use to a locked area, not been there, but its near a water pump for water supply for Esk, have heard the golden perch fishing up there is unreal, gets you into the upper parts of Wivenhoe.

All of these accessible for you some you will need to outlay cash. but please watch the weather ie. wind. Especially in the size of kayak you have.

Also don't forget your SIP, Stocked Impoundment Permit, you do have one?

As far as your kayaks not tracking straight, very typical of a kayak that size. When paddling make sure you paddle equal power on both sides and your stoke leaves the water straight.

Hope this helps

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help guys, the area I am talking bout is a park near kipper creek. But thats all good, I had no problem with it, just making sure.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Particularly when dealing with any government funded department. Way too many of them simply have no idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,
Understand that for sure, there has been times in my life of fishing where I have done things are arent technically allowed, just from the shear fact its ridiculously stupid. I think if I go to the dams I may just go to Somerset instead to where I take the boats, makes life a little easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.