Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums, even though I have already spent hours trolling through the website gathering information for the purchase of my first kayak. I'm lucky enough that my first kayak is actually getting purchased for me as a present for making the Olympics last year. The choices were between Hunting gear/Fishing or a Dog. Since i have currently moved to QLD, where I find hunting is very limited to if you know people, and I am living in an apartment, which means a dog is no longer an option. Fishing has become my new passion! Anyway Enough of my rambling and down to business.
Current Weight 96kgs.
Current Height 195cm.
Current front runner is the Extreme outlaw Fishing Kayak.
M girlfriend loves fishing as much as I do, so we spend most weekends out fishing somewhere, so one positive about the outlaw is that its front compartment also doubles as a second seat.
Since this is my first kayak, I'm also not worried to much about speed but more about stability, this being a wider 4m yak, I think both primary and secondary stability should be very good.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other kayaks around a similar price tag and reasons why?

I also have one final question that I would love assistance on.
I currently drive a Holden 1995 Commodore VS, and are also in the process at looking at roof racks for it.
If anyone would happen to have suggestions on what would be a good place to start it would be greatly appreciated.
Currently looking at the sea to summit soft roof racks as a good place to get started transporting my soon to be yak around!

Thanks in advance
Franky!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi Franky and welcome,

I am sure you find lots of great info and read some great posts here.

Franky124 said:
This is my first post on the forums, even though I have already spent hours trolling through the website gathering information for the purchase of my first kayak. I'm lucky enough that my first kayak is actually getting purchased for me as a present for making the Olympics last year.
What Sport did you make it for ? Well Done - thats a great achievement.

I am sure there are a few on this site that know a bit more about the yak you are looking at than me , so I ll leave that to them... Either way I hope you get into the right yak and have a blast.

I look forward to reading some trip reports.

Franky124 said:
I currently drive a Holden 1995 Commodore VS, and are also in the process at looking at roof racks for it.
If anyone would happen to have suggestions on what would be a good place to start it would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps ProRack or Whispbar- available at Supacheap and are fairly priced compared to others out there. Just make sure they would suit your vehicle and kayak....

Good Luck out there and keep safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi franky welcome to it I'm new to this forum to so it's a first for the both of us . Notr familiar with your kayak only because I'm getting my head around all the brands . As for roof racks mate being a commo i would try a wrecker or good old evil bay and if your worried about damaging your yak while in transit just put some foam over the racks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Olympics - which sport?

Firstly, assuming that you are reasonably 'active' and 'coordinated' I would not worry too much about stability. Buy any brand-name fishing kayak over 4m and you will quickly used to it. You will sacrifice too much performance in pursuit of stability otherwise (in my opinion). Not sure what price the outlaw goes for but would recommend looking at the second hand market here or at KFDU.

Second point follows the first - forget the idea of sharing kayak with GF and just get one each. You will both be happier and save money in long run. This is fact and comes from AKFF herd acquired kayak IQ.

Lastly, ditch the soft racks as proper roof racks for VS should be fairly easy to pick up second hand off Gumtree/Ebay. Any of the brand name racks should be OK and should be able to pick them up for approx $50-100. Just be a bit mindful of weight limits as you will be carrying 2 kayaks sometimes. No need for fancy kayak carriers - just carry upside done straight onto racks, maybe with a bit of rubber for comfort.

Hope you get amongst it soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone,

Thankyou very much for the fast replies already!

Occy, what were some of the many others out there at the price range, just to see if they are different from those that I have looked at.
Thnx for the info Badmotor, the outlaw kayak, can double as a second seat, doesn't have to be, and being a rather tall person I thought the 4m yak would be a great place to start. So i can still use it as a single kayak for me, as required.

I would also bet that no one would guess what sport I made the Olympics for!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Franky124 said:
Challenged Accepted: Table Tennis? (Because the Frank the rower has a wife and you're talking about a GF but if you have a wife AND a GF then well played sir - Well played!) :D

Malibu X-13 would be my only suggestion as an alternative as it is one I looked at before arriving at a Tarpon.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Franky124 said:
Handball

I don't know much about the extreme kayaks although I believe they are extremely stable. I've used soft racks for a while and never had a problem with them. Although they can leave some marks on the car but I was never concerned about that which also might be why I got them. I used them highway driving and was never worried.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would say sycrinnised swimming (don't even know how to spell it :lol: ), or Equistrian.

I might be biased, but would you go for a second hand yak? I have a Prowler Elite for sale right now. Read some reviews on them, but I am yet to fall out of mine and have been in some pretty hairy situations in the Bay. I think it's pretty well priced as well.

·
Registered
826 Posts
systemtester said:
Franky124 said:
Challenged Accepted: Table Tennis? (Because the Frank the rower has a wife and you're talking about a GF but if you have a wife AND a GF then well played sir - Well played!) :D
Agreed - Nicely deduced there Detective Systemtester :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well played System, I didn't think anyone would really go to the effort of actually looking it up, but Table Tennis is correct.
I'll have a look at the Prowler Elite when I get home tonight. Does the front section double as a second seat if needed, my girlfriend is rather light only 56kgs!

Thanks
Franky

·
Registered
581 Posts
When did you start Table Tennis? I played with a lot of the guys that made the sydney olympic squads years ago, I was just that bit old at the time so the William Henzels and Trevor Browns got in the squads. I played rep from 1990 to 1996 when I turned 18 and found working and drinking took over my life. :lol: God I feel old writing that.

I have acutally never tried to fit another person on the yak with me. I would say behind the seat you might be able to do something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems this forum is just detectives!!!!!
I put myself slightly heavier, since I haven't weight myself in a few months, but I have put on a few kilo's since london, which are slowly starting to come off again, now that i have had a nice break!!!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Small world isn't it. I beat William his first year of rep in a QLD vs SA match, he was young back then, but you could see the talent.

I can't actually believe it but I could play as a veteran now. I am hoping my one year old takes it up one day so I can start again, really miss it sometimes. But then again that would cut down on fishing time which I also love.

If you want a test paddle sometime let me know. I live in Bayside so plenty of water around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you both for the offers! I will have to get my roof racks all sorted before I go and get a yak! Didn't expect to get so many offers so fast. I am fairly busy over the next month or so, and was looking to have my kayak all set up for upcoming summer months!! A test paddle of an actual fishing kayak would be great. As until now all my fishing has been done land based only recently decided on a kayak. I will have a look at the elite prowler tonight! So Cbj you think myself and my girlfriend won't be able to fit on the outlaw? I really am after an all round yak. Something that can fish offshore aswell as creeks, if anyone has any other suggestions would still love to hear them. Still looking round the 1000$ mark.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want to fish offshore then definately not a double or probably anything that could comfortably have another person padding with you. The prowler would be a great choice as an all rounder which can go offshore. Definately don't get anything to wide. It's much better to get something that feels a bit tippy at first because you will get used to it and be pleased you have something that can slice through the water rather than push it's way through.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Definitely look at 2 yaks and not one.
I have a friend (everyone take a deep breath) who did the same thing with the tandem, it was useless on his own so he didn't use it.
He has since bought a single and loves it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome Franky!

definitely consider the opinions offered here - tandems are sometimes known as divorce boats :)

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.