Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Was hoping for some advice on setup for mostly shore but hopefully also some yak fishing from an island in the Yasawa group in Fiji. I have enquired with the resort and they tell me there will be some unrestricted areas on the island I am able to fish from. I have got a 7' medium action Shimano raider travel rod paired with a shimano 4000 Elf spinning reel. I have done loads of reading of the forums and have decided to throw around a few lures (poppers, slugs, spoons, shallow running lures etc). Having only ever fished estuary & surf, what sort of line and leader class should I load up. Have been to quite a few islands in the Yasawas before and there obviously will be plenty of coral. I guess species like trevally, jobfish, and other reefies and smaller pelagics will be on the menu. To be honest, I'm not really into giving the fish a fighting chance, more of a skull dragger, particularly with all the coral around. And advice on fishing these coral type areas appreciated.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
davelace said:
To be honest, I'm not really into giving the fish a fighting chance, more of a skull dragger, particularly with all the coral around. And advice on fishing these coral type areas appreciated.
To be honest, a 4000 Shimano Elf and travel rod isn't going to skull drag a lot of things in Fiji, especially out of a kayak. I've fished Yasawa & Manamucas out of the resort kayaks, none have rod holders so 1 rod only is the go.Head out mornings and late arvo. 20-30lb braid, leader from 20 fluro up to 60 mono.
If there is any swell, drop offs or reef breaks they will hold GT's, big ones. Calm water is more bluefin, red bass, fun stuff...

So take about 3 x Halco Roosta poppers, the 80 size will suit your rod if not you may have to go smaller, aswell as 5 inch soft plastics / Squidgy wrigglers / gulps etc. 3/8 jig head, 3/0-5/0 hook (short hook strong guage). Also small metal slugs for frigates etc. Stickbaits are good, maybe 1 floating and 1 sinking.
Take split ring pliers also & boga grip if you have room, dehooking a 120cm barracuda from a kayak with fangs mere inches from your lap is delicate work.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, point taken Bigkev. Did actually read a couple of these. I am anticipating more land based fishing than yak (as I'm not entirely sure as to the kayak situation where we are staying - it's a brand new place), so I guess was trying to gauge an idea of line class for land based angling. Only have enough space to lug over just the one rod/reel, so thought I would go middle ground in terms of setup. Did get some pointers out of those posts,when I read them again more thoroughly so thanks heaps for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks heaps for all that info Dave73. Exactly what I was after. As in last post will prob. be more land based so all those tips are great.
Do you reckon just casting over the reef flats at high tide (from shore) with all the lures you mentioned would be productive, or do you really think I should get out in the yak as much as possible ??

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Like anywhere it depends on the structure & access to good water where the fish will be, like anywhere it could be good or could be crap. What island are you going to?
You'd think early morning, long casts on a high tide maybe some pencil poppers also. You'll have bluefin trevally cruising the shallows. Spanish mackeral sit outside the reef drop offs.
A kayak would allow you to work more areas, fish the deep side of the reef which most island atols will have (even a 5 meter drop off is superb).
Also for snag retrieval a kayak will give you better options than land based.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dude, just had a look at their website. Looks great especially from a kayak. Those areas where the shallow drops right off to the deeper water is the go, just paddle along just on the shallow side of that line and cast in shallow aswell as ahead of you, peppering casts 10 oclock and 2 oclock. Deep passage on the east coast may get a bit of current pushing through. Let the resort know each time you are heading out in the kayak, a GT may have taken you for a ride.

Let us know how you go, be interested as i'm ready for another return Fiji trip. The Yasawa's are stunning....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I stayed at Nanuya Island resort a few years ago (prior to getting into kayak fishing). According to the map link it is the Island next door to yours.
Where we stayed you weren't allowed to fish as it was tribal land but I did get to go out with one of the local villagers trolling in his boat. Got stuck into some small mackerel but I didn't have any really decent gear (or large lures!) with me otherwise I'm sure I would have got stuck into some bigger fish.

The Yasawa's are amazing!

Can't wait to get back.

Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marty75 said:
Where we stayed you weren't allowed to fish as it was tribal land..
Marty
I'm not 100% convinced I'll be allowed to fish, but according to a very recent email from the resort there will be some areas that I'll be allowed to go. I'll be pissed if I lug all this gear over and they've changed their minds ! Anyway, will definitely try to get out in a local boat if that's the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.