Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how I missed this.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/boo ... 2nyqd.html

Not particularly old either early 60's I guess. Banks created a new centre of Sci-fi excellence, the Scots now known for it. I only just noticed yesterday that his latest novel was out.

IMHO he ranks alongside Herbet, Dick, Moorcock, Zelazny as a member of the top 5 best ever Sci-fi authors.

You'll be missed Iain.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWWxnRdcAABhfgAAQUOcACBAiGCA/b9+gIACVBqmmnkjQYjQD1BoCKn5Gp6aU8KafqJoGm1M0gLbH9tg/SiB6uBP+L/hi/LaFsMdBBqLLNFFAaBZCxwd2Qx0OLzfsS4BLBOGNRSexB8WvZX8sSEnKIXEbeL6n3g6YCQGBkICxZqpE4EXisnRSQXPtG7OmtaFGqg8ek0tyLuSKcKEg2M6Lrg==

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of them sort of cross over between fiction and Sci fi, eg The Bridge. For extreme lock the reader into discomfort try his controversial first novel The Wasp Factory. What was that movie be Tarantino where some grooves music gets the viewer on side a dancing sadist who unexpectedly lashes out and slices of a captives ear? Imagine that moment maintained for a whole novel.

Nothing else quite that gruesome and all brilliant.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob

If you are into sci-fi try any of the culture novels. I'd start with "use of weapons".

Otherwise try "the bridge".

One of the greats in our lifetimes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Knew of 3 out of those 5 authors.

Have not read anything by Banks before. Might have to have a look.

I used to read a lot of sci-fi once upon a time when I was at uni, looking for cheap old 2nd hand books.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salty Dog said:
Knew of 3 out of those 5 authors.

Have not read anything by Banks before. Might have to have a look.

I used to read a lot of sci-fi once upon a time when I was at uni, looking for cheap old 2nd hand books.
I'm guessing you missed Zelazny. In Aus we didnt do well with American authors once we got outside ofthe immediately obvious. Start with Lord of Light, then move to his short stories. Banks though, as Kraley mentioned, try the culture series. Starting with use of weapons. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm guessing you missed Zelazny
Got it in one Dru. I'll have to check out his books too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.