Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pod of dolphins steal spotty mackerel from me inside the bay at Noosa once. Was thinking how cool it was to be able to catch macks with the dolphins all around me until they turned their attention to my hooked fish. Lets just say, I'm not a fan of dolphins anymore.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Good recall Nick. That's gotta be what?..three months? :lol:

·
Registered
826 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
F'n sea lions need a cull and I'd like some mukluks.
Seems so simple.

btw: That was called a jewfish, but now they're called goliath grouper.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Years ago fishing from a stinky off Shoalhaven was winding a fish up and looking down into the water. Catch had just broken the surface when a small mako came up vertically at speed, grabbed the fish and got airborne. Moved back so fast I nearly fell out the other side of the boat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok I'm posting on behalf of Adriank.
This happend literally yesterday so this is perfect timing for this post. Ok so yesterday morning we launched in the Hastings river (port macquarie) and headed over to target flathead on the flats. Decided to throw a few surface lures and scored a bunch of strikes and then a 34cm bream... Then nothing. (You thought something was going to happen didn't you) anyway we fished the flats and caught nothing for an hour or 2. We pulled up to the beach to head back before AdrianK finally hooked a 40-50cm flathead and he dragged it up onto the beach to unhook. We were looking for a fish to take home and it was the perfect size. He unhooked it and then walked back to the kayak about 10m away to grab the keeper net. We found the keeper net and when we looked over and there was 2 pelicans. One which had its Beak in the air and through the sun you could see his flathead. AdrianK started chasing it hoping he might drop it and then the pelican stuck his neck up, swallowed and flew away.

We stood there shocked and then we remembered that the name of the island we caught it on was 'pelican island'. Now we don't have dinner but we have a story to tell :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not kayak fishing but off Crowdy Beach catching Tailor. A fox came down from the dunes and stuck its paw under the water and into the 20 litre drum I had my fish in. Scooped one out and trotted off me yelling at it from the surf.

Grant

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fishing off the beach at Bribie for summer whiting the rotten crows would come down and take fish out of your bucket when you had your back turned :twisted: Ended up tacking a lid for the bucket with me each time.....even had to cover the live worms or they'd be in to them as well.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
anselmo said:
What can I say? It was a modern masterpiece. I hear Kezas still in therapy over it. That, or still plotting revenges, may be one and the same ...
Pelican again tonight, lot of meat on those bastards.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Frank Jones, (an old fishing foe) and I were breaming at Moffat Beach (?) many years ago... Frank had caught the first keeper and slipped it into a rock-pool behind him. Of course he laughingly informed me that he was "in the lead already" and turned his back on the fish, knowing it was secure in the rock pool.

Something above caught my eye and on closer scrutiny turned out to be a sea-eagle. It sure enough had its vision screwed onto that fish... swooped down and as neat as you like, clawed it out of the rock pool at a great rate of knots. I thought that this creature showed marvellous ability. I don't know how I contained my mirth, absolutely pissing myself inwardly... I immediately paid strict attention to my fishing although my body was trembling with mirth.

About 15 seconds later, Franko looked around, spotted the eagle, then informed me, "Hey Jim... that sea eagle's got a fish! It's a bream!"

Then the penny dropped... looked into his bream/rock pool, bream gone! so swung around to glare angrily at me and, "Rainey, you bastard!"

"What I do??" (all innocence with big grin)

The eagle did it, not me... some friend he was, accusing me of wrong-doing... tch! tch!

"Are we back to even, now Frank?" :twisted:

Cherish those memories!

Frank was one of those fishing friends who, although prior to actually putting line in water, was best of mates... as soon as the bait hit the water... absolute enemies! win at all costs... no quarter given or taken! winner take all!

I might not have won that skirmish, but I surely didn't lose it!
;-)

Jimbo

G

·
Back in the late 70's I used to go on an annual fishing trip with a group of very mixed ages. The person whose company I enjoyed most was a 70-odd year old. Fred had an interesting but very tough life. For example, while clearing land he bought of timber to turn it into a farm, Fred earned a living clearing timber on other properties. All with an axe! Fred held axe championship trophies in Victoria. To make the point clear, Fred worked a fulltime job with and axe; wielded an axe for sport and spent as much spare time as possible clearing his land with an axe. This seems off-topic but you need to understand that Fred had a tough, hard-working life so you may realise he lived in a very different Australia and forgive his actions in the story below.

One day a lot of Cormorants were competing for the Bream that we were catching in huge numbers. It was mayhem on and in the water! The Cormorants would watch us set the hook and see the fight before diving and chasing the catch. Most fish at one stage or other found additional energy and needed to be given slack line to escape the birds below. Many came up with beak marks. Every now and then one caught a Bream and would not let go until it neared the boat or would swallow a fish and get its freedom and prize after being set free with a slice of the line as near the beak as you dared. While I found the extra dimension to my fishing exciting, the Cormorants generally caused a of frustration. Eventually, it all became too much for old Fred. After a particularly dogged fight with a Cormorant through water, land and air, he landed it, grabbed it by the head and yelled, "give me back my fish you thieving b**ard", at the same time cut its throat. A minute or so of gory work later he extracted ... an under-size Bream.

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
SteveR said:
Back in the late 70's I used to go on an annual fishing trip with a group of very mixed ages. The person whose company I enjoyed most was a 70-odd year old. Fred had an interesting but very tough life. For example, while clearing land he bought of timber to turn it into a farm, Fred earned a living clearing timber on other properties. All with an axe! Fred held axe championship trophies in Victoria. To make the point clear, Fred worked a fulltime job with and axe; wielded an axe for sport and spent as much spare time as possible clearing his land with an axe. This seems off-topic but you need to understand that Fred had a tough, hard-working life so you may realise he lived in a very different Australia and forgive his actions in the story below.

One day a lot of Cormorants were competing for the Bream that we were catching in huge numbers. It was mayhem on and in the water! The Cormorants would watch us set the hook and see the fight before diving and chasing the catch. Most fish at one stage or other found additional energy and needed to be given slack line to escape the birds below. Many came up with beak marks. Every now and then one caught a Bream and would not let go until it neared the boat or would swallow a fish and get its freedom and prize after being set free with a slice of the line as near the beak as you dared. While I found the extra dimension to my fishing exciting, the Cormorants generally caused a of frustration. Eventually, it all became too much for old Fred. After a particularly dogged fight with a Cormorant through water, land and air, he landed it, grabbed it by the head and yelled, "give me back my fish you thieving b**ard", at the same time cut its throat. A minute or so of gory work later he extracted ... an under-size Bream.
:lol: The change in his face, from 'got you you thieving bastard' to 'crushing despair', would have been priceless.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I remember as a kid fishing off a wharf at night, I had just landed a small but legal snapper and my first priority was to get my line back in the water.
As I put the rod down I could hear a drumming noise and turned to see the tail of my snapper disappearing up the inside of the petrol pump housing. I presume a rat had it by the head and was forcing and banging the fish in through the small gap, the fish was also still alive so I could hear it kicking inside but no way for me to reach it.
Only keeper fish I got that night, very pissed off but didn't want to attack the petrol pump, I did kick it every 5 mins for the rest of the night, just so the rat didn't get to eat in peace.
I hope the little shit choked on a bone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.