Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm running a Lowrance HDS5 with down/sidescan and fish mainly offshore. The downscan gives great definition of bottom structure and separates fish into individual marks instead of noisy balls. Only downside is that you can't see jigs or rig decending as the downscan cuts a plane rather than a cone. The sidescan feature is pretty useless if there are any waves as a little bit of rocking in the yak translates to a lot of movement at say 30 meters. The image becomes blurred. Works fine in the flat water though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been using a Hummindird side scan unit in my stink boat for the past 12 months and find it to be another handy tool in the toolbox, but not the be all and end all. As stated previously, it doesn't work in choppy conditions and if the roll angle of your bout changes i.e. during turns or if more weight on one side than the other.
This is an image that I saved last summer as I ran over the Port Pirie tyre reef, I was turning at the time which explains the skewed image and drop out on the starboard side (as boat leaned slightly into the turn). You can clearly see the individual tyres that make up the reef (this reef isnt modules, just a long pile of individual tyres pushed of the back of a barge as it motored along). You can also see a tight school of ruggers that was hold up next to the reef (small white cloud, topmost, in the water column (dark ribbon down the centre)).
I have also used it to mark individual Mulloway amongst the tripod structures supporting most of the Port river navigational pylons but I haven't got any images saved unfortunately. And, just as unfortunately, I never managed to trick any of those fish to take a lure or bait
:?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.