Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

DogFish's WS Tarpon 160i

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Here's some shots of my recently aquired Tarpon 160i.
Minimal rigging as it didn't "spin my wheels" and I've now decided to sell it and get a real kayak

..... a Kaskazi Pelican! :twisted:

DogFish

See less See more
#4 ·
Dogfish,

I am interested to know why the Tarpon 160i didn't "spin your wheels". I have been pretty happy with mine so far but have not really taken it out in open water. Also this is my first yak so do not have anything to compare it to.

Yakabe.

#5 ·
varp & Yakabe

The Tarpon 160i is great for big open water and distance paddling. Very seaworthy and straight tracking with that Greenland style hull. Unfortunately I have found it is not as surf capable as I require, and as 80% of my fishing access is via big surf beaches I need a kayak that is more agile and responsive in the surf zone than the T160i has proved to be.

Hopefully the Kaskazi Pelican will be more capable as it has been designed for big surf conditions and looks like a good "blank canvas" for conversion to my idea of a full-on fishing yak. And as varp would no doubt agree, those fibreglass Kaskazi's sure do look sexy... :lol:

DogFish

#7 ·
Hi Steve,
It's an insulated cover for the tankwell to keep the sun off any fish stored there. There's a bungee cord sewn into the outside hem that loops over the existing (plus a couple of extra) tankwell bungee cleats. Same sort of material as used for ****** bags, fish bags, surfboard bags, etc.

DogFish

G
#11 ·
its funny going back through the history isnt it? Remembering when the Swing was at the top of the pile, and the tarpon 120 and 160 and prowler 15 were all fighting for the number one spot. They were and still are great yaks, I thought I would give them all a bump for old times sakes, its good to look back :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.