Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi nolsa here from the gold coast qld i cant wait for my next pay as i will be able to pick up my kayak from bcf my uncle is going to help me get it from store with his car of course but were i live is not far from the broad water or bay but one question does anyone transport there kayak without a car just curious :? anyway the kayak im getting is a malibu pro explorer and for 600 dollars you cant miss luckly user andrew told me or i would of got a crappy kayak that wouldnt hold me cause i weigh 113 kilos and 6 ft 2 tall anyway please respond

G

·
I live almost in spitting distance of the ocean and walk my Hobie Revolution down to the beach to launch more often than I transport it elsewhere by car. The Hobie sand wheels are barely adequate for the job, making tough work of the return journey up the sand and up the incline to home. A lighter yak; slighly better balance point (not so much weight at the front); and wider wheels would make it a breeze.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Just had a look on Google and notice you have a couple of scupper holes in the rear well, so would be easy insert a scupper cart and wheel the yak to the water, while on the water you insert the cart into the same scuppers from above with wheels uppermost.

I made this cart from box aluminium, nuts and bolts [no welding involved] and cost about $10 when made 6 years ago, fitted plastic golf cart wheels given to me at the time, and used every time the yak is taken to the water and have only replaced the pool noodle cushion once in that time.
00001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWcYbchoAAB7fgAAQQIdgCCAhkIA/796gMACmwamJqm9Eg9R6npPUyD9KaEFNomnpHqaNAADQgU8obUaZGgAALAhWG2r37zu+/CqTepvhQ3xSKTZBOdmaIclYH1fijz8+FLW53gX3BjFmKm6im0UFMjk3YoRrFBY8H+lgubvawgTrTsEfDA4wA6m5ndJpMKxhqpJMBGaFR8jrB9nGsIL2w8UhF62qwgRaZuApSfAgciH8TREiEKkaxwEBZGf4u5IpwoSGMNuQ0A==

·
Registered
908 Posts
I whipped up an effective trailer from an old tandem kids bike trailer. viewtopic.php?f=95&t=55421&hilit=+bike These things are sold cheap new (<$100) from places like BigW and there should be a fair few second hand models lying around unused. Here is the exact model near you http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/childrens-bi ... 338223b875

Goes well behind the bike but I have taken to walking it down to the beach lately as it removes another piece of equip from equation. Can get it perfectly balanced as not locked into scupper plugs and with large wheels there is just about zero resistance when pulling (on flat). I don't have much beach to pull it across but have been a little surprised at how well it pulls over soft sand so don't even bother with normal kayak trolley for these quick trips.

One lesson I did learn was make sure you have heaps of clearance between wheels and kayak. I initially had minimal and on one trip kayak moved a bit and started rubbing. By time I got to beach the wheels had removed a couple of mm of plastic from kayak in nice little scallop.

Best of luck with your build.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I havn't done it yet but since i'm without a car at the moment I am looking into getting a trolley that won't wake up the suburb so I can walk it a few km from clayfield down to breakfast creek and back again. I think it's about a 30min walk each way but probably longer since half the trip back is uphill. Once you get into kayak fishing this is the kinda thing it makes you do just to ge back out there.

G

·
bruus said:
walk it a few km from clayfield down to breakfast creek and back again.
At 37.5kg, a fully rigged Hobie Revolution 13 is very uncomfortable to haul more than about 500 meters if it has 'uphill' in it. I had a wheel fall off my Hobie cart on two separate occasions, adding to the fun. Something down around 25kg should be a lot easier. A strap-on cart would allow you to move the load forward or back to ensure you don't get to have to bear too much of the weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.