Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was just curious to see in this digital age whether people go out and spend they're hard earned on actually paper copies magazines anymore? if so is there a particular magazine that is better than the rest? Like a lot of print media nowadays are people reading online mags/articles?

Personally I now only buy the Tasmanian Fishing news somewhat irregularlry and source a lot of my information through great places such as here :D

To declare a personal interest as such (let me know if this isn't kosher mods) this comes about from wanting to do some advertising for my business, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck so to speak so am curious to see if this is a relevant way of advertising still?

Cheers
Nathan

Quick Edit; If so, do you pay any attention to the advertising or immediately turn the page?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I don't buy magazines of any description but will only read a hard copy if anything. Couldn't be bothered trying to navigate a magazine via tablet, but I'm from the country.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the latest copy of Bush n Beach next to my bed. I don't often buy magazines but I was told of a fantastic article about my local area. I will admit I do look at the adds but I don't take a lot of interest.
I'm more concerned with what and where is fishing well in my area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have not had the urge to get a mag since finding/joining akff. I was only ever interested in trip related articles anyway and they are more current and varied here. Besides yak based is far more interesting and quite limited in print media.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yep fishing wild is fantastic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes I buy and read magazines.

I read regularly (every issue)

Freshwater Fishing
Yak Fisher
Blade
Fish Life

Occasionally
Bush n Beach
QFM

I also buy a couple of US publications on the iPad.

I look at the advertising in the mags.

You should be able to get the publisher to give you distribution info so you can see readership etc.

cheers,

S

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers guys, appreciate the responses.

Whilst I'm sure each publication will glady supply me reader numbers and loads of info to support why I should advertise with them, my concern would be the over-inflation of numbers and demographics. So I thought I'd get a quick sample of guys who actually kayak fish and are good enough to reply to give me an initial indication.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bought the one with YakFisher last month because I had to wait for the wife at an appointment that ran couple of hours over. Pretty much same articles that were in the last magazine I bought a few years ago so can't see myself buying another one.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
You shoukd remember Yakko that this is not a representative sample base. The people on this forum are, by definition, confortable with the internet and forums and have plenty of time to access the web. People like us are less likely to buy magazines than most.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Oddly enough I like the ads in magazines and its half the reason I browse them when someone else buys them. I don't really frequent tackle shops or fish with others so I don't know what products are out there. If I were to buy a magazine I'd expect that advertising is part of the deal, so long as the articles are the real deal and the ads are ads then I'm happy with that. I really hate the mags in which the articles are sponsored and all you read is how good this reel and that lure are.

Can't stand electronic magazines though, have downloaded a few trial ones and they bore me to tears, too hard to juggle on a tablet for the value of the reading material, would rather just trawl AKFF instead.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Occasionally. Mostly 1997 copies of >insert name here< when I'm waiting for a haircut at the barbers.
Bought a few copies of Blade - mostly for the cool stickers...
Get the occasional Tasmania Fishing one, and also the occasional one I end up with as a prize, but mostly online forums. Hardly ever read an "online magazine" - don't think I've ever finished one cover to cover.

Like Ado said though, we might not be representative of your whole target audience.

For your particular venture I'd be looking at tourism brochures etc, as you might get more "foreigners" (those folks from the North Island included) wanting to use your services than locals.
You might even get some gov't subsidies for your advertising in those.

·
Registered
478 Posts
spork said:
For your particular venture I'd be looking at tourism brochures etc, as you might get more "foreigners" (those folks from the North Island included) wanting to use your services than locals.
I was thinking the same thing. Hotel foyers, cafe's, tourist mags...

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Occasionally grab a few at the local library on an irregular basis, like a sort of Christmas stocking filler taken with other books.

Current month issue of any mag cannot be borrowed and has to be read in the library, but after that you can take them home for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spork said:
Like Ado said though, we might not be representative of your whole target audience.

The internet and social media has certainly changed the landscape of print media and as a flow on effect advertising. We're not yet sure what our target market is, first timers, general fisho's or experience yak fishers so it will be a shotgun approach for the first season and then narrow it down subsequently. This means our advertising budget will be spread thinly so it's about getting the best bang for buck. Personally I initially think it will be mainland tourists primarily, then maybe overseas then local? I've got a great marketing/web guy who just happens to work for tourism tas so we'll be sitting down to work through it more soon.

we wouldn't suspect first timers to be reading mag's obviously so it's about how best to target experienced fisherman and yak anglers, aside from the interwebs. We will be doing the usual advertising but won't be putting a lot of money into brochures and local print as "walk up" type tours aren't like to be our primary focus. Though time will tell.

Again thanks to all contributors. Every little bit of info helps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.