Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,
Just wondering if there are any disabled Kayak Users out there? Specifically wheelchair users. I Have just picked myself up a 2.7 single person yak and I am also a paraplegic in a wheelchair. Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how you go with getting the yak out of the car and into the water etc? At the moment I have the back of the yak on wheels and tie the front of the yak to the back of my chair and drag it down. Just curious how other people do it and if there are any better ideas then what I am currently doing.

Many thanks in advance

aussiewheelz

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
BBW wrote an article for Yak Fishing that was about introducing a paraplegic (legs) to yakking.

The on land stuff is just a start. You''ll want to lick re-entry.

Where are you based, buddy? It's an awesome project. I'll dig through my old mags to see if I can find the article. Doesn't answer any of your specific questions, but might be of interest. Get back to you shortly.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Welcome mate, read the many posts by Ian [Ironsides] who was also in a chair and may be of help to you.

Following is a list of his re[lies. His earlier posts tell of his learning in the early days and possibly a benefit.

search.php?author_id=466&sr=posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks for getting back to me folks. I am based on the Gold Coast at Nerang so the aim is to hit a lot of the local canals and river systems. I've had a lot of success in the local rivers etc in my Tinny but whenever I want to get out I have to rely on someone to come with me to help get the boat in the water and trailered again. I guess the idea of the Yak is to be independent and be able to do it all myself, so I can go out whenever I want. I've been looking at a few places around that I can park the car with the Yak pretty close to the water so I don't have to drag it too far which is a plus. Thanks again for the replies and I'll check out some of the posts you were referring too. tight lines!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWT1J2AcAABlfgAAQQYOTEohQEAC/b96wIACEIqe9TUjTanpoTynkDUzU/U1CKemp6Mo0AAAA0s5BCfgGt8RmZ50XqdK/X2ub5aGjq9vx1IRlJGPGEVYAyWVTZskPdP1eGSVC8XXF0qVmhIER3q2s+NJvLLJWukM7KnPS29vgYZIIsCSthiOpkstAUzRu4RZpcivMY1gc5XE4IG4JFa2timE6Ej27qL7H/i7kinChIHqTsA4=

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thanks, I have had a bit of a look at Ironsides posts but will look through with a bit more detail. I did notice it had been a while since he'd posted on the forum though. Cheers again for the help :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
G'day Adam,

I took a bit of interest in Ironsides posts (he is an inspirational bloke), and googled to see what he was up to after he stopped posting here,
he was/is still active, sorry I don't have a link, but there was a newspaper article (I think) about his exploits.

Here is one of his youtube vids - hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'day Jeffen, thanks for that mate, I just had a look, sounds like if I can track him down he might have some good ideas. I'll try posting a message to him on the youtube video and see what happens. I figure if your in a wheelchair or not, people have different experiences and different ideas so posting on a forum like this one is great to get some ideas. will definitely be on here a lot more often to check out what everyone is up to and post about any fishing trips I am doing!

·
Registered
280 Posts
No worries Adam - hopefully you can get in touch with Ian, and I would love to see a trip report! Bring it on!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWcsPazsAAC3fgAAQQOeIkCgQEAA/79+wMAE0ZoRTyj0BDCZJp4pobUBFPTJoap5R+qPUwQ2oPSA1PQpgp6mDUxNGgDRWLgH0XvLV1j1oT/ugQvF11+LEZGaE1CwsnK7mnCBixy/ZO6YqLZbCe93IWK6bzRJmsLHnUrF2hRolgD7C4JxmL4qkJC/UujCXGVRCjdAG+x1MGCgPKUAo0hd/MJ0kWGRa3TnT4ifKjyhiGmeNYgSwaONB4QcsNFJGHfYQShiWIgNkecX5X51yFkAlcGiDbvjKaF17xjnXBng66BdJEWbMFEwkCZOW2wK1XT5TApQJASStvYZR3LOdOKsrczN4GKBY9E6oYtLCS1rjDMcVeEw3eZZSfIuWNFeSIkMoZQ/BL45zlC4RBEgiAm7fW1/FMh+Vi5v4u5IpwoSGWHtZ2A==

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Red, a great link with what looks like some great ideas. Will spend some time going through them and see what I can find out.
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.