Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just arrived in sunny Darwin, and am wondering has anyone done much in the way of fishing around here from a 'yak, or are all the bighty and stingy creatures too abundant.
Thinking about doing a trip next year and bringing the 'yak along.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No replies, guessing those thatve tried didnt fare so well.....
But seriously, have heard some of the braver ones will yak one of the less croc infested rivers. Personally i think itd be nuts, plenty of stories of crocs having a go at arms hanging over tinnies etc let alone a yak. Where there's fish there's often crocs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
patwah said:
Duggo

If you get the chance, go and check out East point, Lee point, Dinah beach boat ramp, trailer boat club and the beaches around here, Vestys, Mindil etc…

All of those are an easy launch on the right tides. Bear in mind on the spring tides it could be a fair hike in or out if you stuff up your timing.

From a bitey perspective, your unlikely to run into a croc unless he or she is on the move. They do get them in the harbor, most years it's well over a 100 or so pulled out of the croc traps.

I'm 99% there hasn't been a fatality or actual attack in the Darwin Harbour in decades, if at all in the last 100 years.

Check out choonas recent report, awesome

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62030&p=654748
Thanks mate, Was at Mindil last night , and am staying alomg the esplenade, thats would placed the firsts seeds of thought into my brain. Hopefully coming up next year for a couple of weeks with the crew for a fishing trip, think I'll throw the yak on the roof as well.

Any of those places mentioned good for a land based session tomorrow, thought I'd flick a few lures about in the morning before going and checking out all things crocadile related. Love those critters, they are cool.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
patwah said:
Duggo said:
patwah said:
Duggo

If you get the chance, go and check out East point, Lee point, Dinah beach boat ramp, trailer boat club and the beaches around here, Vestys, Mindil etc…

All of those are an easy launch on the right tides. Bear in mind on the spring tides it could be a fair hike in or out if you stuff up your timing.

From a bitey perspective, your unlikely to run into a croc unless he or she is on the move. They do get them in the harbor, most years it's well over a 100 or so pulled out of the croc traps.

I'm 99% there hasn't been a fatality or actual attack in the Darwin Harbour in decades, if at all in the last 100 years.

Check out choonas recent report, awesome

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62030&p=654748
Thanks mate, Was at Mindil last night , and am staying alomg the esplenade, thats would placed the firsts seeds of thought into my brain. Hopefully coming up next year for a couple of weeks with the crew for a fishing trip, think I'll throw the yak on the roof as well.

Any of those places mentioned good for a land based session tomorrow, thought I'd flick a few lures about in the morning before going and checking out all things crocadile related. Love those critters, they are cool.
Youve actually got a really good tide for East Point tomorrow morning, 7.3 meter high at 0912. I'd fish 90mins either side from the rock shelfs. If you have a car, head down as far as you can, past the gun turrets, tuck around back to the left and park there. Head out to the shelf (the one as if your staring back at Darwin city).

Fish metals (my preference), plastics or similar bibbed lures for queenfish or trevs.

Downside is the big tides make it tough to fish the beaches etc....
Terrific, thanks for that I'll give it a wack, no slugs unfortunately but got a couple of poppers, plenty of hard bodies and a couple of Zereks so no doubt I can have a red hot go.
Loving this place, wish I'd come here for a visit 10 years ago.

·
Registered
719 Posts
yeah man you got good waters there.i fished lee point,east point and that wreck of there on the yak,caught some nice trevally and mackerel of lee point of the yak.no crocs at all..unless on the move.had to do most of my fishing on the high tides early mornings to beat the wind and tides.Broome had worse tides,and currents for yak fishing than darwin.also try dundee beach a drive out from darwin,beautifull place.we liked darwin

but i wouldnt take the yak in the rivers...

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Lee can really fire when it's on, or you can catch nothing but little barracouta. Don't be afraid to chuck one out as bait though, saw a big threadfin caught that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.