Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im on holidays for 3 weeks and thought id go down the coast and see a mate I hadn't seen for a while.Being a keen fisho in any weather I put the yak on the roof and had a fish on the way down.
Launched the yak next to the hastings point holiday park in light rain and just as the tide was coming in.The water was very clear and quiet warm so off I went upstream in search of anything that was feeling suicidale.Saw plenty of rays, whiting,flatties and bream but still took a couple of hours before I finally got something of legal size.
Paddled around for another hour with 2 bream an 1 flathead all thrown back,as im not a big fan of fish the whiting went back aswell.
Overall a pleasant morning on the water.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,383 Posts
Stew70
I have very fond memories of Cudgera Creek and Cudgen Creek from 55 years ago (you don't need to be good at maths to see I'm ancient).

This was pre sandmining, pre breakwater walls. The Cudgen creek mouth was anywhere from it's present position, to a kilometre north, up past the bowls club. To the south were Kingscliffe rocks, where snapper and jew and big tailor could be caught casting straight off the rocks.

The fishing in both creeks was phenomenal, as it was in Mooball Ck....tailor, BIG flatties, and BIG bream along the oyster encrusted rocks. We even caught mullet in them on fly hooks and dough. In Cudgera Ck there was a run of luderick every August. On the beaches there were several rows of massive sand hills covered in banksias and casuarinas. Then the sand mining came, and that was the end of the dunes and vegetation.

Then the creek mouth (Cudgen) was 'straightened' with the rock walls, which sanded over the magnificent Kingscliffe rocks, where thousands of fish had been caught. It was all downhill from there. At least Cudgera Ck escaped the raping and pillaging that Cudgen suffered, but Mooball has suffered somewhat. You should still get luderick in Cudgera, in the hole just beside the bridge, and flatties etc, and some good tailor off the rocks and beaches. I remember Hastings Point rocks as being rather treacherous, and I doubt this would have changed.

Fond memories of idyllic days in paradise, a paradise lost. Progress? Pig's arse!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trev,
its a shame the place has changed so much.I guess that's the price we pay for progress be it good or bad.
Either way its a relaxing place to while away a few hours.

stewart.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Stew nice to see you got a nice whiting, and that is a nice creek to wander along.

kayakone said:
Fond memories of idyllic days in paradise, a paradise lost. Progress? Pig's arse!
Think your comment can apply to all fishing locations Trev, and sadly has to be accepted as fact.

Also with changing work patterns, locations do not get a Mon-Fri working week breather as happened previously, modern trading with shift work means constant fishing on most days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.