Kayak and Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried it?
would save a whole lot of prep time cos I'm a lazy bugger and the wife insists the tubes must be perfectly white and skin free.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Skin on is great.. Also, if you haven't already, try the wings and tentacles of smaller squid.. The best bits a generally tossed out! Cook them even hotter than usual, with just oil garlic and salt with maybe just a dusting of flour.. Makes me miss tassie and the tasty southern calamari!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I've eaten the tentacles without bothering to skin them. They get coloured spots on them that change colour as you cook them. Very cool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree it is much easier to cut open the hood to clean the inside, but if you must have rings for some reason i sometimes i sometimes turn the hood inside out with the handle of a long wooden spoon. This also helps to keep rings in a circle shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I can see doing that to put some kiwifruit (or other fruit) flavour in the squid but can't see the point for tenderising. I've found that squid that isn't tender has been cooked too long.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
filthy said:
has anyone tried it?
would save a whole lot of prep time cos I'm a lazy bugger and the wife insists the tubes must be perfectly white and skin free.
Unheard of to take the skin off squid for our family, didn't realise people did it. I know lots of people used to throw the tentacles out but, Mediterranean heritage and all, we'd shake our heads in disgust.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Having said that, I'm one of those guilty of peeling prawns, I hear people just eat the lot when bbq'd (teppanyaki style I guess) which makes me feel rather ignorant and wastful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Daveyak

If I am cooking squid in a fry pan, and only squid. I do not over cook, not tough, great. The Gods are happy.
If I want to cook squid in spaghetti marinara where cooking times may vary and high heat is not possible because of including pasta sauce etc. then I soak the squid in Kiwi Fruit. Not for the taste but to tenderise it. Don't knock it, try it.

When I was told about it I thought it was bullshit but it works.

Pete

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
cheaterparts said:
another trick is to marinate your squid rings or strips in mashed up Kiwi fruit for an hour then wash the kiwi fruit off before cooking
the acid if the kiwi fruit tenderises the squid
Don't do it for too long or it goes mushy.
We stopped tenderising as we prefer it slightly chewy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.